Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 2:18pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post
    I thought I read recently Greg Jackson started handing out MMA belts. He codified some system and attached belt ranks to it.
    Can't remember where I saw that, but I'm not sure how good of an idea that might be.
    Read the actual thread you'll find the link.

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 2:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post
    Jackson has an eye for talent and cultivating that talent. His fighters' records are phenomenal.
    But I'd have to see this cirriculum to make a judgement.
    No you wouldn't a Greg jackson black belt would quite simply be a kill monster. You would not walk up to that guy and tell him you do not like the way he does and arm bar.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 2:42pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I don't consider karate, kung fu, or Jiu Jitsu a style; in that sense I don't consider wrestling or kickboxing a style either. They are categories we give our styles to address to general public who are ignorant of the true process.
    Omega would you mind expanding on this a bit? I think Im following you but want to be sure I understand your point fully. Are you stating that karate isn't a style because it is such a large umbrella for individual ryu's that you do consider styles? Or am I misunderstanding, if I am please elaborate a bit further if you don't mind.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 2:52pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Omega would you mind expanding on this a bit? I think Im following you but want to be sure I understand your point fully. Are you stating that karate isn't a style because it is such a large umbrella for individual ryu's that you do consider styles? Or am I misunderstanding, if I am please elaborate a bit further if you don't mind.
    No, that's exactly what I'm saying. I tell guys at my gym you're not doing kickboxing in this class. You're doing Muay Thai. It takes them a bit to really let that sink in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 3:03pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    No, that's exactly what I'm saying. I tell guys at my gym you're not doing kickboxing in this class. You're doing Muay Thai. It takes them a bit to really let that sink in.
    Ok cool I just wanted to make sure I understood your post and didnt want to assume I did. So in the case of MMA (And I know you dont consider it a style yet.) would you see certain styles developing under that umbrella? i.e the afformentioned boxer/wrestler type of fighter as an example? or the bjj/ Muay Thai or the ....Chineseboxing/Sambo...:)

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 3:35pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Ok cool I just wanted to make sure I understood your post and didnt want to assume I did. So in the case of MMA (And I know you dont consider it a style yet.) would you see certain styles developing under that umbrella? i.e the afformentioned boxer/wrestler type of fighter as an example? or the bjj/ Muay Thai or the ....Chineseboxing/Sambo...:)
    My sentiments is that you need striking/throwing/ground work.

The thing is that there are specialized styles of martial arts that tend to cover those so they are more prominent. If we break it dow more specifically then we've got
    Striking:
    Muay Thai
    Boxing
    Dutch Kickboxing

Throwing
    Greco Roman Wrestling
    Freestyle Wrestling
    Judo

Groundwork
    Pro Wrestling (Catch)
    BJJ

Now we're seeing the beginnings of people from other systems realizing they have to gear their training to be successful in the "cage".

Has anybody noticed the trend toward sport style kicks in MMA, especially with the rise of the lower weight classes?

My style in the cage was my style. I had a Judo/SAMBO/Catch grappling style with Muay Thai/Chinese Boxing as my striking base. My style worked fine for me but I was a neophyte back then. Knowing what I know now I would change a thing and I have since ranked in Jiu Jitsu and have become a boxing coach.
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324