Posted On:
    4/08/2012 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Ahhhhhhh......damn. (What he said)
    You should have taken that fight BTW. Even for peanuts it would have made for some great memories.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 10:41am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What i was trying to ask before, omega, is do you feel the needed technique for mma can be taught in a reasonable time frame, or is three range competence just for people willing to devote most of their lives to training?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    What i was trying to ask before, omega, is do you feel the needed technique for mma can be taught in a reasonable time frame, or is three range competence just for people willing to devote most of their lives to training?
    THAT is an excellent fucking question.

Just curious if "competence" equals real competence here, or if it means "enough to compete with the other guy." Everybody's going to have the same problem squeezing in 3 range training into a normal schedule. Ammy MMA has a lot of fights where both guys are equally crappy at everything, but are evenly matched and put on a good show.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 11:36am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't have an answer for you Johnny as it's completely subjective in my opinion. I have had 1 pro fight for me and went on a 4 fight winning streak and he was only competent in 1 range and that was boxing. I've had a BJJ brown belt with boxing experience completely get thrashed in a ring. It's completely dependent on the person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 9:54pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's completely dependent on the person.
    I was actually sort of surprised by this response from you Omega. I would have thought as an instructor you would have taken more of a sort of 50/50 stance. meaning that an effective competitor would have to have some base knowledge of technique, and the rest is up to him. Maybe the sticking point there is "effective". Do you feel this way because theoretically (probably happened more in the early days of the sport.) that any dumb slob can step in and get his face smashed like the tough man days?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 9:57pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 9:58pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    I was actually sort of surprised by this response from you Omega. I would have thought as an instructor you would have taken more of a sort of 50/50 stance. meaning that an effective competitor would have to have some base knowledge of technique, and the rest is up to him. Maybe the sticking point there is "effective". Do you feel this way because theoretically (probably happened more in the early days of the sport.) that any dumb slob can step in and get his face smashed like the tough man days?
    LOL, no I used to think that way until I got wrestlers and taught them how to kickbox. All of a sudden their kickboxing completely surpasses their wrestling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2012 12:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you think of a fighter that trained (and was successful) in just MMA from the get go? Or have all the succesful guys had a feeder-style that got them started...I.E. wrestling , or boxing etc? I ask because if there is a guy I think possibly there is the beginings of an answer to this question.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2012 12:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, no I used to think that way until I got wrestlers and taught them how to kickbox. All of a sudden their kickboxing completely surpasses their wrestling.
    Part of me just wants to say..Well doesnt that just make you a good instructor?? but I wont because I refuse to nuthug. But I do find it interesting that your perspective has changed on it the longer you've taught.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2012 5:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    The big words aside though. If you rocked up to a MMA class what would you expect it to look like?
    i've walked into a number of schools which had a sign saying "MMA" out the front, to find out that, for example, it's a hapkido school with an instructor who got a blue belt off the internet. and he regularly entered his students into local MMA events, and some of them would actually win.
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 ... LastLast