Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 11:02pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shin splints can range from pretty mild to pretty severe on the pain scale. As for how to cure them, that's a more complex question. Shin splints are generally a musculoskeletal reaction to some sort of gait dysfunction. More complex answer than I could give in one post. But in a nutshell, stretch the right muscles (primarily calves and peroneals, but perhaps also certain hip muscles), strengthen others, and a dose of ice and ibuprofen for good measure.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 11:18pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    Shin splints can range from pretty mild to pretty severe on the pain scale. As for how to cure them, that's a more complex question. Shin splints are generally a musculoskeletal reaction to some sort of gait dysfunction. More complex answer than I could give in one post. But in a nutshell, stretch the right muscles (primarily calves and peroneals, but perhaps also certain hip muscles), strengthen others, and a dose of ice and ibuprofen for good measure.
    Ok, thank you. Also, one last thing, just to make sure it's a shin split, can it be for and extended period of time without increasing in pain constantly? I'm saying constantly because I don't remember this problem just popping up out of nowhere. Actually it's gotten slightly better. *Very slightly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 11:40pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish beast View Post
    Ok, thank you. Also, one last thing, just to make sure it's a shin split, can it be for and extended period of time without increasing in pain constantly? I'm saying constantly because I don't remember this problem just popping up out of nowhere. Actually it's gotten slightly better. *Very slightly.
    I get shin splints like a motherf@#ker. One thing I have been looking into is barefoot running

http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/faq...unning_faq.htm

I haven't given it a proper go yet but if that doesn't work I am going to have to give up running as it's just too painful. (Besides hill sprints)
    Last edited by Auszi; 3/31/2012 11:43pm at .

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 3:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish beast View Post
    Yes. Shin splints are the way your gait affects your musculoskeletal system (the combination of muscles, bones, joints, and connective tissues). It's the body's attempt to do right by you. But it only knows how to react to the stresses you put on it. So if you put the wrong stresses on it, it will respond in the wrong way and potentially cause problems.

The key thing about shin splints is: they are a reaction, and NOT and underlying cause. As such, they have the potential to persist until you deal with the underlying cause. So yes, they can last for a very long time if you don't do **** about it.

Also, relevant to the OP: Shin splints are unlikely to be caused directly by your shin conditioning program. They're more likely to be caused by your movement patterns–your conditioning, walking, MA practice, etc. I'm not saying to go back to your shin conditioning program, because once you have the splints they can add stress to the area. But I'm also saying to not be afraid of resuming conditioning once you've dealt with the issue.

- The Wastrel

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 10:16am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that's the case then, like Omega said, it's probably shin splints. When shin splints are bad, the pain can be pretty tremendous.
    I've been in the game for awhile. I've seen the shin splints be the culprit for awhile. I even had one of my girls think that shin splints were fractures in her shins. When I told her no they weren't, she told me that a doctor told her that. I told her to give me their phone number so I can tell them how wrong they are. I ran track for 5 years, I know shin splints.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your answers, guys.

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 11:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I've been in the game for awhile. I've seen the shin splints be the culprit for awhile. I even had one of my girls think that shin splints were fractures in her shins. When I told her no they weren't, she told me that a doctor told her that. I told her to give me their phone number so I can tell them how wrong they are. I ran track for 5 years, I know shin splints.
    Yes, yes, and yes. That's not the first story I've heard about a person suffering from shin splints thinking it was actual fracture in the bone. And they can indeed last for a very long time if you don't do anything about them. They'll pretty much last however long it takes you to actually fix them.

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 11:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So does that mean I'll have to continue stretching those muscles after I fix the split?

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 4:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably, yes. But it's really not that much to ask, and it'll be good for you.

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably, yes. But it's really not that much to ask, and it'll be good for you.
    K, thanks. Well I already stretch my hips (doing jiujitsu), so there's that.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast