Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2012 1:51pm

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it very interesting how many famous masters seem to have begun teaching with only a few years of experience and often without a black belt or formal teaching qualification.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They (Tracy) did organize the Gathering of Eagles and got James Ibrao, Thomas Mitose, the son of the late James Mitose, Roger Greene, Ted Sumner, Ray Arquilla, Al Dacascos, Ralph and Rob Castro, William Chun, Jr., Sonny Gascon, Bart Vale, Larry Tatum, Adriano Emperado, Richard Lee, Sig Kufferath, Tino Tuiolosega, and John McSweeney to attend.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 4:37pm

Style: American Kenpo, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, but it's undeniable that, from the article I posted, some Tracy's are violently opposed to Ed Parker's version of events. But that's all politics. Ed Parker was a master marketeer as well as a proficient martial artist. It's only natural that this infuriated at least some people, it always does.

But the style he created is something I enjoy tremendously. I would love to do some Kajukenbo too, having scratched that surface when I competed in the ICKKF championship last month, but first things first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 5:24pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    They (Tracy) did organize the Gathering of Eagles and got James Ibrao, Thomas Mitose, the son of the late James Mitose, Roger Greene, Ted Sumner, Ray Arquilla, Al Dacascos, Ralph and Rob Castro, William Chun, Jr., Sonny Gascon, Bart Vale, Larry Tatum, Adriano Emperado, Richard Lee, Sig Kufferath, Tino Tuiolosega, and John McSweeney to attend.
    I doubt Mitose was there, unless prison let him out for a recess.

I've seen those articles from Will Tracy before, I don't think Al Tracy has really embraced them, or discounted them either.

I think the truth is somewhere between what the Tracy's write about, and what all the "Ed Parker Masters" write about. Mostly, I think both Parker and the Tracy's were in the right place at the right time and profited well from it. That they were marketers and business men and also martial artists.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 5:36pm

Style: American Kenpo, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j-squared View Post
    I doubt Mitose was there, unless prison let him out for a recess.
    It was his son, as James Mitose died incarcerated in 1981, and the first Gathering of Eagles was held in 1999.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12