Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 9:03am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stickfighting Gloves

In the ever-continuing struggle for good training gear, I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about these ones:

http://www.canbox.ca/c301401p16905443.2.html

One of my students said Sled Dog was wearing 'em at a recent seminar, but his hands were moving too fast to get a good look at them.

They look like they'd be good in general, but I'm not sure if they'd be sufficient protection against a good hand hit, in comparison to hockey gloves.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 9:19am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What they really need to invent is an alternative to the fencing helmet. Something that doesn't dent would be a big improvement.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 9:32am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there are tougher escrima helmets. they are very similar to kendo helmets, but if i remember correctly, the dog bros don't like them because they let people shrug off head shots, while the fencing masks don't allow you to pretend you didn't get hit.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 12:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as gloves go, I like Cricket gloves. Decent amount of protection whith out the bulk of hockey gloves.

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 12:57pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone tried a hockey helmet type design? It seems like a nice medium.

For rattan sticks, I use lacrosse gloves or SWAT gloves(except your goddamn trigger finger isn't padded sonfuabitch)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 1:26pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    there are tougher escrima helmets. they are very similar to kendo helmets, but if i remember correctly, the dog bros don't like them because they let people shrug off head shots, while the fencing masks don't allow you to pretend you didn't get hit.
    Another problem with the tougher escrima helmets is that they really restrict your vision, at least in the ones I have tried.

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 1:36pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Has anyone tried a hockey helmet type design? It seems like a nice medium.
    Unfortunately, the helmets I have use a grill rather than a lexan shield so they won't stop a stick tip. Also, I find they don't provide much in the way of sound absorption - every thwack in the head sounds like a cannon.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 1:45pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you really don't want the lexan shield. They tend to get pushed right into your face by conventional strikes, much less sticks, and when they break it's bad news.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 1:52pm

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The standard WEKAF helmet is probably closer to a kendo helmet than a hockey helmet, however, you could probably use a hockey helmet with an iTech mask and not have your vision as obscured. However, your neck would be totally unprotected.

EDIT: Sorry- missed your post, Ming.

As for gloves, I've never used the ones in the picture, but I have used Nick's heavier stick fighting gloves and I can tell you that nothing I have used compares to street hockey gloves in terms of protection. The downside is the metal thumb of hockey gloves and increased padding tend to impair your manual dexterity.

I've never used them, but I have heard good things about the egg gauntlets some of the ARMA guys use. They're expensive (I think around $120) but because they're made out of jointed plastic rather than heavy padding, it's possible that you may be able to get both articulation and protection. Anyone here ever use them for escrima?
    Last edited by mojo23; 4/30/2009 1:55pm at .

Posted On:
    4/30/2009 3:50pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good idea. The demands of FMA and ARMA are virtually identical for sparring.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast