Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 2:06am

Style: Shotokan, San Soo etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kempo/Kenpo Karate

I remember finding an article online about this. It was about Ed parker and some of the original guys he trained with. It talked about how he left after becoming a brown belt. The guys who wrote this article stated years later they met up with him and said that his Kempo seemed incomplete. Also somewhere in the article it said they all were learning Kempo Karate from a Japanese master.

The article was not very kind to Ed, but it also seem very informative and legit. Sad thing is I can't find it!!! I've searched all day today and yesterday. It's driving me crazy. It also wasn't a bash Ed Parker Kenpo article, it was just stating what the author felt was the truth. I am dying to read this again.

Anyone have any info on this subject or know of this website?

I'd love to train in either art listed earlier in my post. Right now I am living in China and training in Shotokan Karate. Strange huh? :-p

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 6:26am

Style: American Kenpo, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was it this article?: http://kenpokarate.com/1954-1956.html

It was written by one of the Tracy's, who have their own lineage within Kenpo in the USA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 6:07am

Style: Shotokan, San Soo etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think so. Thanks buddy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 7:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem. This article pops on many a website, but the content is largely the same.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 9:26am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Tracy suffers from OCD. Skewing facts to elicit doubt. Personally I think he's just a bitter old man who is spiteful that he wasn't given the same glory as Parker.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 9:40am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I think Tracy suffers from OCD. Skewing facts to elicit doubt. Personally I think he's just a bitter old man who is spiteful that he wasn't given the same glory as Parker.
    I agree.
    The article was not very kind to Ed, but it also seem very informative and legit.
    Anything with this much hyperbole can't be fully legit. Also, it is a bash Parker article. The guy is going through and discounting Ed's stories.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 10:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the trouble with finding info on the history of Kenpo, and probably aplies for any MA research: huge egoes and feuds have troubled the data, and what remains is often hugely inflated and conflicting. French writer and martial artist Patrick Lombardo wrote an excellent little volume scratching the surface of the history of all systems that have " Kenpo / Kempo" in their name. I'll have to see if it was ever translated in English.
    Edit: Nope, it was never translated.
    Last edited by WoodyCorpus; 3/31/2012 10:03am at . Reason: added info

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 10:21am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyCorpus View Post
    That's the trouble with finding info on the history of Kenpo, and probably aplies for any MA research: huge egoes and feuds have troubled the data, and what remains is often hugely inflated and conflicting. French writer and martial artist Patrick Lombardo wrote an excellent little volume scratching the surface of the history of all systems that have " Kenpo / Kempo" in their name. I'll have to see if it was ever translated in English.
    Edit: Nope, it was never translated.
    I have fortunately sat and been advised by Parker's first blackbelt James Ibrao. It's quite enlightening. Even he said that not everything that Parker said was accurate but it wasn't done because of lying but because of simple recall mistake.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 10:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I have fortunately sat and been advised by Parker's first blackbelt James Ibrao. It's quite enlightening. Even he said that not everything that Parker said was accurate but it wasn't done because of lying but because of simple recall mistake.
    Yeah, I gather as much. Ed Parker must have been quite a character though. A bit larger than life, I would say.

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 6:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast