Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 1:16am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

2010 Special Operations Force Exhibition (SOFEX) Jordan

Interesting video with some surreal moments regarding one of the open weapons market biggest events.

(Link to full article and video underneath)

“You know, it’s weird, man. It’s like everybody’s real cordial with each other. But, at the end of the day, we’re, like, buying weapons to destroy each other. I don’t want to, like, sound liberal or anything. But it’s really not glamorous. This **** fucking kills people.” Shockingly, the guy who said this wasn’t some antiwar hippie who had just dropped acid. He was a 6'4" Marine Corps Force Recon sergeant who had recently returned from two tours in Afghanistan. We were both attendees at the 2010 Special Operations Force Exhibition (SOFEX) in Jordan. His booming reaction was prompted by the trade-show floor—a sea of displays and kiosks from weapons companies hawking missiles, machine guns, tanks, and bombs like they were next year’s luxury sedans. Even more unsettling, the expo’s biggest sponsor was the USA.

SOFEX takes place every two years in Amman, and is largely the brainchild of Jordan’s king, Abdullah II, who has a penchant for special operations and massive displays of artillery. Over the course of a week, more than 12,000 attendees tromped around 30-odd tents staked across the desert, hosting approximately 300 vendors. The atmosphere was insidious but open, an organized free-for-all in which American companies like Northrop Grumman, Boeing, and General Dynamics sold weapons to almost anyone who could afford them.
    http://www.vice.com/en_au/vice-news/...-of-war-part-1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 1:54am

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UH......mind=blown right now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 9:04pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes it blew my mind as well, the fact that they are all shopping next to people they might be using the weapons against the next week. It is beyond cynical on behalf of the company (countries) doing the selling.

In my mind it really makes me question the validity of any of the reasons given for any of the wars when the key players are all having drinks with each other and selling weapons to the highest bidder.