Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've been provided with plenty of good advice.
    Give them something to think about before you do what you really want to do.
    Its great for setting up combos. But don't get into the habit of throwing it lazily either because that can result in injury very easily.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 5:29am

Style: Jujitsu and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slightly different way of looking at this- I got injured in my left leg, and would stand left leg forwards to throw my strongest cross; however obis don't want to put the injury in the firing line, so best to stand with it back and not kick with it. Whilst not necessarily devastating, a lead kick to a side of knee or femoral nerve can hurt like a mother, and distract the opponent whilst you crack him one in the jaw...

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2012 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kajukenbo lessons pay off: Sifu had this on his FB page:

"Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2012 4:24pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A jab is not a power punch but it is vital to a boxer. The front leg roundhouse is the jab of kicks. It doesnt need power, that gets replaced with speed and snap. Id strongly suggest more training for turning your back on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2012 4:34pm

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Purely anecdotal here, but during my level 1 grading for JKD I landed a lead leg roundhouse on my sparring partner and he had trouble walking for about a week after. I'm not sure what I hit, but it indicates to me that it works.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/15/2012 8:54am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Front leg round kick is NOT A JAB! Stop saying that. It can be thrown light like a jab but it absolutely doesn't have to be. There are plenty of KOs off the lead leg kick. Anyone ever hear of this guy Mirko Crocop?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2012 4:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I posted was not in reference to the power of the kick, simply that it is a vital tool for a person who uses kicking in their art.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 10:40am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It still isn't "the jab of kicks" because it doesn't maintain or create space like a jab. If you have to invent a false parallel the front kick or Teep is a better analog.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 12:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    It still isn't "the jab of kicks" because it doesn't maintain or create space like a jab. If you have to invent a false parallel the front kick or Teep is a better analog.

I humbly disagree. And it may simply be a difference in personal style, but I use the lead roundhousemore than anyother kick.

The first available weapon to a kicking fighter is the lead leg roundhouse to the opponents lead leg.This is the first available attack.Before you are in range to do anything else, you can do this, this will maintain distance. No one wants to reapeatedly take blows to the legs.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    To me, it looks more like the backfist of kicks than a jab. The only parallel that I can draw between the jab and this kick is the snap effect. As you say, it doesn't maintain or create space (ranging aspect) like a jab. Although this was one of the primary kicks we trained to spar with, it has limited use. I like to take it low as a leg kick or a sweep, but bringing it above the thigh, I telegraph mine horribly.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast