Our Sponsors:

Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4445051525354 555657 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 1:01am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh it was. The collective national guilt was crippling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 2:00am

Style: Kyokushin Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Sounds rough.
    I never used the term rough, hard, or anything of the nature. Forget about where I lived or how "rough" it is deemed. The point is I have a fair amount of actual fighting. Not sport or in a ring. I'm not claiming to be some sort of tough guy so please please don't overreact everyone. I don't need a bunch of smart ass remarks regarding how tough I think I am. I don't think I'm better or more hardcore than anyone. I just know myself abd what I am capable of when push comes to shove. I've been in situations that sucked and I had to fight. Period. It wasn't cool. I'm not bragging. It just it what it is. FYI ... I didn't grow up privileged. The army paid for the move. We lived in an apartment. We didn't live on base.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 3:19am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    I never used the term rough, hard, or anything of the nature. Forget about where I lived or how "rough" it is deemed. The point is I have a fair amount of actual fighting. Not sport or in a ring. I'm not claiming to be some sort of tough guy so please please don't overreact everyone. I don't need a bunch of smart ass remarks regarding how tough I think I am. I don't think I'm better or more hardcore than anyone. I just know myself abd what I am capable of when push comes to shove. I've been in situations that sucked and I had to fight. Period. It wasn't cool. I'm not bragging. It just it what it is. FYI ... I didn't grow up privileged. The army paid for the move. We lived in an apartment. We didn't live on base.
    Unless you're incredibly naive you have to be aware that going onto a martial arts forum and opening with a reference to your 'rough past' and many 'street fights' is bound to set more than a few bullshit detectors ringing. It's probably the oldest and least credible trope in the book.

Adding to that is the above post where you tell us on the one hand, forget you ever mentioned it, but on the other just accept that you can 'handle' yourself because of it.

It's one or the other, you don't get to have it both ways.

To address your original post, judo is good wing Chun is bad. Anything that trains without a fully resisting opponent is pretty much worthless. If you want a good striking art to compliment your judo try boxing, on top of being highly effective it is relatively cheap to learn. And if you really need some philosophy to go with it watch some old Ali tapes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 3:44am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where exactly did you live? Which city?

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 8:30am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many times did you reference your upbringing; unsolicited? Do you notice how you are ASSUMING people are implying things and creating another tangent? Who exactly said you were "privileged?"

We'll pretend you have said nothing "smartassed" yourself.

So, if you didn't want it referenced you shouldn't use it, or your college communications courses, as appeals to authority.

Go introduce yourself in newbietown, describe your martial art background, describe what you want in a MA and then read ALL of the rules with your handle. It'll make posting easier for you..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 9:53am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Sounds rough.
    Well, it can be - in certain areas. But that's the same everywhere on this planet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 9:55am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    Well, it can be - in certain areas. But that's the same everywhere on this planet.
    That's what I've heard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 11:35am

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    How many times did you reference your upbringing; unsolicited? Do you notice how you are ASSUMING people are implying things and creating another tangent? Who exactly said you were "privileged?"

We'll pretend you have said nothing "smartassed" yourself.

So, if you didn't want it referenced you shouldn't use it, or your college communications courses, as appeals to authority.

Go introduce yourself in newbietown, describe your martial art background, describe what you want in a MA and then read ALL of the rules with your handle. It'll make posting easier for you..

Thanks for the advice. I'll make the intro post soon.

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 3:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    And a master gymnast should also be a good fighter, if for no other reason than his physical conditioning. Something wing chun tends to lack.

I studied wc for about two years and noticed how everyone except a select few of us who worked out on our own slowly got fatter and fatter.
    Looking at pictures on their school website is looking like someone used the Fattify app each person. It's hilarious.

They talked about how their true wc would end a fight quickly so they didn't emphasize fitness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 4:53pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kansas View Post
    I studied wc for about two years and noticed how everyone except a select few of us who worked out on our own slowly got fatter and fatter.
    Looking at pictures on their school website is looking like someone used the Fattify app each person. It's hilarious.

They talked about how their true wc would end a fight quickly so they didn't emphasize fitness.
    True wing Chun will end a fight quickly, just don't expect the Chunner to be on the winning side of it.