Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414748495051 52535455 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:27pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    Reading all these threads was entertaining to say the least. The fight is in the fighter and not the style they choose to train in. I think BJJ is the chess game of sport fighting. I grew up in an area that fighting once a week was normal. Most of the time it was 2-3 on 1. As much as I respect the combat sport of BJJ I just wouldn't want to be on the ground fighting more than one person. Breaking a guys arm in Kimura doesn't matter if he's stabbing you in the kidneys with his free a. I am just getting into studying martial arts so I only have real life untrained experience to base my input off. I plan on starting with training both at a Judo club and kung fu academy. Possibly Wing Chun.... That combo seams like it would do what it's designed to. Allow me to defend myself.
    You must be so hard considering that you'd fight 2-3 people a week. Can you tell me where this violent area is so I can be sure to avoid it?
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:31pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    Do Only Judo Wing chun has a lot of problems I knwo you feel that wing chun is deadly but trust me in the Fury of the moment when you getting punched, pushed and grabbed only what you have trained under similar pressure is actually useful
    Thanks for the input sir. Judo definitely seems very applicable in real life. As for Wing Chun, it's possibly I've seen "IP Man" too many times. Haha. I want to train in Judo as well as an effective striking style. I'm looking for something traditional with a spiritual aspect though. Otherwise, I'd just go with Muay Thai.

There's plenty of good MMA gyms where I live in Portland,OR but I'm not a fan of the tough guy, brawler attitude of most the guys that train at them have. I've looked in to Shorinji Kempo as well as various styles of Kung Fu to supplement striking. Do you or anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. I apologize for any format or typing errors as I am both new to forums and my laptop is down. All replays and post are being done via iPhone 4 at the moment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:32pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Budo_Brown but I'd like to know where he's from as well.

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:38pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd much prefer the knowledge of how to control someone's body that comes from BJJ than that crap offered in WC.

And the whole "spiritual side" thing? I've had more profound spiritual experiences/ realisations in free rolling than I ever did in my search through the arts that claim a "spiritual side".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 7:55pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    You must be so hard considering that you'd fight 2-3 people a week. Can you tell me where this violent area is so I can be sure to avoid it?
    I never said I was hard. I never said I myself fought 2-3 people every week. Did I fight a lot growing up? Yes. Was it one on one very often? No. I grew up near Seattle and also near Portland. My parents divorced at a young age so I moved back and forth a lot. I also lived in Germany for a couple years growing up due to my father being in the military. I find it interesting that you automatically ridicule me without knowing anything about me. That's the kind of attitude is why I don't wish to train at an MMA gym. From reading. Your various replays, I deduct that you are an angry person. I wish you peace and quietness of mind. I have no need to prove myself to you. I'm not here to argue. I'm here to discuss martial arts and be informed from those with more experience than me.

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 8:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my oh my.
    How about you find a better route to spirituality than taking a shitty martial art.
    That being said I do have to constantly check my ego when doing combat sports.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 8:31pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reading all these threads was entertaining to say the least. The fight is in the fighter and not the style they choose to train in. I think BJJ is the chess game of sport fighting. I grew up in an area that fighting once a week was normal. Most of the time it was 2-3 on 1. As much as I respect the combat sport of BJJ I just wouldn't want to be on the ground fighting more than one person. Breaking a guys arm in Kimura doesn't matter if he's stabbing you in the kidneys with his free a. I am just getting into studying martial arts so I only have real life untrained experience to base my input off. I plan on starting with training both at a Judo club and kung fu academy. Possibly Wing Chun.... That combo seams like it would do what it's designed to. Allow me to defend myself.
    Hi and welcome to bullshido. I must warn you, this is going to get ugly. You have already used some dead horses
    The fight is in the fighter and not the style they choose to train in. Breaking a guys arm in Kimura doesn't matter if he's stabbing you in the kidneys with his free a,
    a logical fallacy
    I just wouldn't want to be on the ground fighting more than one person,
    and a cliche
    the combat sport of BJJ
    in your discussion. Keep your cool and argue from a point of FACT and you will be okay. If you start telling anecdotes:
    I grew up in an area that fighting once a week was normal. Most of the time it was 2-3 on 1.
    it will get ugly..

Enjoy yourself and welcome to bullshido..

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 8:40pm

forum leader

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never said I was hard. I never said I myself fought 2-3 people every week. Did I fight a lot growing up? Yes. Was it one on one very often? No. I grew up near Seattle and also near Portland. My parents divorced at a young age so I moved back and forth a lot. I also lived in Germany for a couple years growing up due to my father being in the military. I find it interesting that you automatically ridicule me without knowing anything about me. That's the kind of attitude is why I don't wish to train at an MMA gym. From reading. Your various replays, I deduct that you are an angry person. I wish you peace and quietness of mind. I have no need to prove myself to you. I'm not here to argue. I'm here to discuss martial arts and be informed from those with more experience than me.
    So you weren't "normal" in your own words? You were outside of the norm of fighting weekly with 2-3 opponents? How did you avoid doing so in a place where it is considered normal to do so? This story seems very far fetched and getting worse.

I'm here to discuss martial arts and inform you, as I have more experience than you. Your notions of martial arts are misguided. Your preconceptions of BJJ, MMA and any others that you stereotype are wrong.

That is some of my information. I am better informed than you. You can thank me later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 8:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Oh my oh my.
    How about you find a better route to spirituality than taking a shitty martial art.
    That being said I do have to constantly check my ego when doing combat sports.
    I'm not looking for a religion. I'm just looking for an combat art. Art being the key word. I like the idea of kata or meditation being part of the training is all. I have a solid base spiritual outlook on life. That being said, I'm always looking to expand that outlook hence why I want to study a traditonal striking art.

I guess you could say after years of training in different arts, I would be trained in MMA when i get that far. I have nothing against the sport or athletes that compete in it. As you said, the egos can get a little out of control but what athletes doesn't at some point. I don't have a problem with it, I just choose not to be around it when I train. In fact, I am friends or should I say aquaintences with lots of MMA fighters and gym owners. I was GM of a venue the hosted the first annual as well as second annual Oregon MMA awards. Guys like Chael and Randy were there as well as other local talent. Most of them great guys but a few just rubbed me the wrong way. They had that "if you don't do this, it's because you can't hack it" attitude.

Like I said before, I have much respect for MMA & BJJ, but it's just not what I'm looking for at this point in my life. I didn't say Wing Chun is either. I just really like the chain punching and quickness of the art. I plan on training in Judo no matter what. I'm just looking for a striking art as well. I've been thinking of training at the "Acadamy of Kung Fu" located in Se Portland,Or to get a martial arts base. It says kung fu but from what I've seen it's basically combat MMA with weapons training. There is forms as well as other kung fu practices there though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 8:49pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    So you weren't "normal" in your own words? You were outside of the norm of fighting weekly with 2-3 opponents? How did you avoid doing so in a place where it is considered normal to do so? This story seems very far fetched and getting worse.

I'm here to discuss martial arts and inform you, as I have more experience than you. Your notions of martial arts are misguided. Your preconceptions of BJJ, MMA and any others that you stereotype are wrong.

That is some of my information. I am better informed than you. You can thank me later.
    Again, I'm not here to prove myself to you. You are stuck on my background for some odd reason. Ok, you got me. I'm actually from Mars where I grew fighting mutants from Pluto. That is what really happened. There, now that you know the truth. Now, you can actually just discuss the study or practice of martial arts instead of worrying about how many fights I was in growing up. First thing I learned in my communications class at college. Stereotypes exist for a reason. That reason being the majority of that group fit the given stereotype. Majority, not all.
Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414748495051 52535455 ... LastLast