Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 7:20am

Style: no gi grappling/sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarJoe View Post
    Tome, open carry says "shoot me FIRST". I will stay with CCW and surpise.
    I hear that argument all the time but have never heard of a case where it has happened. Do you know of any you can link to?
    Unless you really deep conceal, alot of criminals will be able to tell that you are carrying anyway. Do you seriously believe a gangbanger type can't tell if someone is "strapped"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 8:32am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post
    I'm in WV. Open carry is legal.

I'm not sure about impersonating an officer. He didnt have a badge or anything other than th3 shirt. And he wasn't acting .like a cop or trying to carry out any duties reserved for LEOs.

Also, no one would mistake me for a reasonable person, but thanks. Lol
    Sorry this off topic but were you in the Town Center? Just curious.
    Just so this is not such a non-post.
    I do not carry but I do enjoy the range, open carry is our right and should be our right no question but like everything else it comes down to do you want to deal with the hassle. I understand that if someone if worried about the gun, it is their problem but it can become yours if the cops do decide to stop you.
    Last edited by Tameshiwhaty?; 7/04/2012 8:38am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 10:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tameshiwhaty? View Post
    Sorry this off topic but were you in the Town Center? Just curious.
    Just so this is not such a non-post.
    I do not carry but I do enjoy the range, open carry is our right and should be our right no question but like everything else it comes down to do you want to deal with the hassle. I understand that if someone if worried about the gun, it is their problem but it can become yours if the cops do decide to stop you.
    I agree with this. Alot of people are saying they are pro 2nd amendment, BUT... When it comes to rights there are no caveats.

As far as the cops stopping people who open carry, yes, it does happen, but not nearly as often as people think. Those who open carry and never have a problem don't go on the internet to complain about it. It is also unlawful for the police to stop you simply for open carrying, if it is legal in your state. An officer needs RAS (reasonably articulated suspicion) to stop you. Simply having a gun on your while walking the dog (again, if it is legal where you are) is not RAS (see Terry vs. Ohio). Like I had posted earlier, i don't care if it scares people. Alot of people have irrational and unreasonable fears. How come these same people dont flip out when they see a cop open carrying a gun? Because it really has nothing to do with guns, but rather who people feel has a right to carry one.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 10:16am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. thread necro.
    At some theoretical, philosophical level there is an argument for since it could be considered a part of the right to carry. Anyways, open carry is great. You give up really good tactical advantages of concealed carry, get your weapon dirtier, expose your weapon to people taking it, AND manage to make gunowners look stupid while catering to those 'bad apple' carry people who think they are cops.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 10:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Wow. thread necro.
    At some theoretical, philosophical level there is an argument for since it could be considered a part of the right to carry. Anyways, open carry is great. You give up really good tactical advantages of concealed carry, get your weapon dirtier, expose your weapon to people taking it, AND manage to make gunowners look stupid while catering to those 'bad apple' carry people who think they are cops.
    Definately some good points. How would you consider concealed carry as a tactical advantage?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 1:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Purely derived from element of surprise. Your assailants will go in most likely assuming you are unarmed. When you are obviously armed, people will plan accordingly. Of course, there is the argument that open carry will deter an attack to begin with. With practice you don't lose that much time on the drawstroke, though no one can argue that draw from a unconcealed firearm isn't faster.
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 2:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread intrigues me. I like reading about the southern US view of gun carrying and personal protection. And although things are different here, I imagine the concepts would be the same. I don't understand why a ************ would want to clearly display a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Wow. thread necro.
    I agree entirely with the parts highlighted. I don't understand why you would expose your piece so a ************ can just plain snatch that **** from you.

Also, in high crime areas, where criminals are serious, it lets them plan for you. Several people have been killed here with robbery as the motive and the only thing missing was the firearm. It makes you a target in terrible, terrible ways.

Many prudent gun owners specifically avoid guns that are silver, chrome or gunmetal, because sometimes your shirt flies up and the piece reflects light obviously. Then criminals know you walk around armed, and one day while you get out of your car to open your gate, they pounce. Has happened many times here.

The laws in Jamaica, from my understanding (I actually just read them), make no distinction between concealed and open carry. But carrying a piece in the open would get you attention from everybody... cops, thugs and old ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 2:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    Many prudent gun owners specifically avoid guns that are silver, chrome or gunmetal, because sometimes your shirt flies up and the piece reflects light obviously.
    Its rare enough I don't mind stainless finish guns. however when I buy a weapon for carry, I usually care more about the finish's durability and resistance to rust more than anything else. My current carry weapon is flat black; while my jogging gun is sorta shiny silver.
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand why a ************ would want to clearly display a weapon.
    I don't understand it either; if concealed carry is a legal option, open carry makes no sense. Unless, he missed out on some kind of attention as a child (or possibly has some other inadequacy) that equates to a need for attention. It's like saying 'hey, look at me'.
    carrying a piece in the open would get you attention from everybody... cops, thugs and old ladies.
    Disturbs old ladies, who will call the cops, who will hassle the open carry wing-nut, and the thugs will think of some way to take your **** and use it to rob somebody else.

I love it when citizens exercise their Second Amendment rights and pack a firearm; I don't want to see it. They should treat it like they treat their dick; keep it in your pants until you need it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 5:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=slamdunc;2701938]I don't understand it either; if concealed carry is a legal option, open carry makes no sense. Unless, he missed out on some kind of attention as a child (or possibly has some other inadequacy) that equates to a need for attention. It's like saying 'hey, look at me'.
    Disturbs old ladies, who will call the cops, who will hassle the open carry wing-nut, and the thugs will think of some way to take your **** and use it to rob somebody else.

I guess alot of that depends on the gun culture where one lives. I have never had anything more than a cursory glance at my gun when I open carry, and others that I know that I know that have OCd have similar reactions.
    I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because logic would dictate that it does, but I have asked on several forums for someone to link me an article about the commonality of people getting jumped for their guns, and have yet to see anything other than antecdotes, and "well my uncle knew a guy..."

Most of the officers I have talked to said that tactically it doesn't make any difference because most robberies involve a violent ambush of the victim whether the perp believes them armed or not. The victim is usually sucker punched or shot or stabbed, then robbed. Maybe a good reason not to OC, but for that matter, maybe not a good idea to CC either.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast