223523 Bullies, 4333 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 62
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Gezere is offline
    Gezere's Avatar

    My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,587

    Posted On:
    4/04/2012 11:47am

    supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Gezere - I don't disagree with your tactical reasoning for carrying concealed rather than open.

    But the notion that people don't need to open carry because it doesn't make sense to you is no different than when people say assault weapons should be banned because they're not legitimate self defense weapons. Some people think if you're carrying something other than a .38 special you're a wannabe Rambo. That doesn't make it so.

    People should be allowed to carry openly because there's no indication it's more dangerous to the general public than concealed carry.
    I agree. I don't think a person who open carries is anymore dangerous than concealed. I don't think they are dumbasses either. I just think it is a poor choice from a tactical stand point. I am a big supporter of gun rights mainly because the people who are going to **** things up don't give a damn what laws are in place. I really do get the statement people are making but its a statement I just don't want to make.

    I don't think there is ever going to be a time where everyone is going to be OK with guns. Its not going to happen. Walk into a story with any firearm in the open and people are going to freak whether they show it or not. I do want to ensure that people still maintain the right to be able to carry a firearm.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
  2. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,617

    Posted On:
    4/04/2012 11:54am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    I agree. I don't think a person who open carries is anymore dangerous than concealed. I don't think they are dumbasses either. I just think it is a poor choice from a tactical stand point. I am a big supporter of gun rights mainly because the people who are going to **** things up don't give a damn what laws are in place. I really do get the statement people are making but its a statement I just don't want to make.

    I don't think there is ever going to be a time where everyone is going to be OK with guns. Its not going to happen. Walk into a story with any firearm in the open and people are going to freak whether they show it or not. I do want to ensure that people still maintain the right to be able to carry a firearm.
    Agreed.
  3. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,259

    Posted On:
    4/04/2012 12:49pm


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer that nobody knows when Im armed...I cant think of any tactical advantage to open carry. All it does is cause more citizen/LE confrontations when some nervous nellie sees a gun and calls 911.
  4. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,617

    Posted On:
    4/04/2012 1:08pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    I prefer that nobody knows when Im armed...I cant think of any tactical advantage to open carry. All it does is cause more citizen/LE confrontations when some nervous nellie sees a gun and calls 911.
    I also prefer that nobody knows I'm armed. Although I think you can make the argument open carry offers speed advantages in some cases.

    When I do carry openly occasionally it's for convenience, not a tactical advantage. I do see your point about LE confrontations, but I have a problem with the logic that open carry should be frowned upon because people who don't understand the law get nervous about it. That just doesn't sit well with me.
  5. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,259

    Posted On:
    4/04/2012 1:19pm


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well. Im not saying that there should be a law against open carry but why deal with the hassle of getting the cops called on you? The open carry types who do it with the intention of getting into a LE confrontation walk a fine line between political protest and making gun owners look like asses to the "non-carrying" public.

  6. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,617

    Posted On:
    4/04/2012 1:43pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Well. Im not saying that there should be a law against open carry but why deal with the hassle of getting the cops called on you? The open carry types who do it with the intention of getting into a LE confrontation walk a fine line between political protest and making gun owners look like asses to the "non-carrying" public.

    Yeah, I've seen all the videos. I've seen the ones that make the gun owners look like idiots as well as the ones that make the cops and random citizens look like idiots.

    Honestly, I'm not a fan of obnoxious protesting in general, regardless of the cause. But I also understand some of these people's frustrations who have been bothered while carrying openly when they weren't trying to make a scene. That happens too.

    To me the bottom line is that I shouldn't have to make decisions based on whether I'll be hassled by the cops. I don't open carry to be an asshole, but if I do choose to open carry I expect the cops and the general public to leave me the hell alone. And if they don't, I'm more than willing to stand up for my right to open carry. If it turns into a scenario where I need to take legal action, I'm okay with that.

    The hassle of getting the cops called on me is not high on my list of concerns.
  7. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,823

    Posted On:
    4/05/2012 1:18pm


     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    I prefer that nobody knows when Im armed...I cant think of any tactical advantage to open carry. All it does is cause more citizen/LE confrontations when some nervous nellie sees a gun and calls 911.
    This is pretty much my thinking exactly. Although I almost always post something along these lines in a thread about open carry, I'll do it once more since recent events made the point quite obvious:

    I live in Virginia, a state wherein open carry is legal without a permit. I carry my service sized pistol rather obviously on my rip hip (in a lovely black leather DeSantis pancake), making sure my shirt doesn't impede my holster's visibility, on my own property. I do this during "snake season" because, well, I've got the gun loaded with snakeshot (fear not, I have a spare mag of HSTs in case of more serious trouble).

    A couple of weeks ago, I was walking with my grandmother as we often do in the evening. As we completed our last lap, we saw a dog in her driveway. I secured the dog in the "friendly but not stupid" way, called the owner, and ensured the dog remained controlled until inside the owner's vehicle (this awkward phrasing is an attempt to be concise). Here is the salient point: I hadn't yet recognized the onset of "snake season," so I wasn't armed when I returned the dog to his owner. I hate to think what that twit of a 30-something woman (the dog had more character than his owner) would've done if she'd seen a cocked and locked firearm plainly visible on my hip. Something tells me she wouldn't have appreciated my efforts to ensure compliance with the law.

    "Snake season" is well upon us where I live, so I'll be armed for the next few weeks. I am hoping that dog doesn't escape again.
  8. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,617

    Posted On:
    4/05/2012 2:31pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    This is pretty much my thinking exactly. Although I almost always post something along these lines in a thread about open carry, I'll do it once more since recent events made the point quite obvious:

    I live in Virginia, a state wherein open carry is legal without a permit. I carry my service sized pistol rather obviously on my rip hip (in a lovely black leather DeSantis pancake), making sure my shirt doesn't impede my holster's visibility, on my own property. I do this during "snake season" because, well, I've got the gun loaded with snakeshot (fear not, I have a spare mag of HSTs in case of more serious trouble).

    A couple of weeks ago, I was walking with my grandmother as we often do in the evening. As we completed our last lap, we saw a dog in her driveway. I secured the dog in the "friendly but not stupid" way, called the owner, and ensured the dog remained controlled until inside the owner's vehicle (this awkward phrasing is an attempt to be concise). Here is the salient point: I hadn't yet recognized the onset of "snake season," so I wasn't armed when I returned the dog to his owner. I hate to think what that twit of a 30-something woman (the dog had more character than his owner) would've done if she'd seen a cocked and locked firearm plainly visible on my hip. Something tells me she wouldn't have appreciated my efforts to ensure compliance with the law.

    "Snake season" is well upon us where I live, so I'll be armed for the next few weeks. I am hoping that dog doesn't escape again.
    What are you trying to say? That you think it's important to accommodate the delicate sensibilities of stupid assholes? I'm sorry, but **** that.
  9. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,259

    Posted On:
    4/05/2012 3:24pm


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    What are you trying to say? That you think it's important to accommodate the delicate sensibilities of stupid assholes? I'm sorry, but **** that.
    Hell I have a badge to go with the gun but I'd prefer to avoid having to deal with another cop because some pants pisser saw my gun. If I had a reason to open carry I wouldn't "care" per-se, but I prefer to avoid hassles.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  10. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,617

    Posted On:
    4/05/2012 3:31pm

    supporting member
     

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Hell I have a badge to go with the gun but I'd prefer to avoid having to deal with another cop because some pants pisser saw my gun. If I had a reason to open carry I wouldn't "care" per-se, but I prefer to avoid hassles.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I want to reiterate that I prefer to carry concealed and rarely open carry. But when I want to open carry I do so without agonizing over the possibility of having to talk to the cops.

    I just strongly disagree with the notion that you should be wary of doing anything that isn't illegal, whether it's gun related or not just because some ignorant assholes might have a hissy fit.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.