All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 12:53pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your perimeter

I'm not sure if this is an armory thread but it seems to be the closest fit.

How do you guys passively secure your homes? Alarms, cameras, fences, etc?

I'm thinking about a camera and intercom as i love toys and can't hear the door from tge tv room...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    I'm not sure if this is an armory thread but it seems to be the closest fit.

How do you guys passively secure your homes? Alarms, cameras, fences, etc?

I'm thinking about a camera and intercom as i love toys and can't hear the door from tge tv room...
    May differ on what constitutes passive, but:

Get a dog, one that barks at everything. This will both alert you to visitors as well as serve as a deterrent for undesirables.

Also, I use those friction-based window locks for every window in the house, deadbolts on all the doors (of course), and through-pins (not sure what they're called) in the sliding doors.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 3:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Noise and speedbumps are my strategy. If they come while nobody's home, I'm going to miss my **** but I can live with that loss.

When we're home our strategy is to make sure nobody can get to us before we can get to a weapon. We need less than 10 seconds warning from anywhere in the house and that's conservative. It's probably more like 5.

So, we have sturdy doors and we lock them, along with the storm doors. Unless they use a battering ram and come in SWAT style they're not going to get in fast enough. We keep the windows locked but I'm not overly concerned about the windows. They'll never break out a window and climb in fast enough.

We keep the outside of our house lit up with lights as a deterrent. When we go to bed I turn off all the lights inside and the outdoor lighting silhouettes anything that moves.

We live on a dead end street and have alert neighbors. We all talk to each other. New people and vehicles are noticed immediately.

I'm thinking about a camera system also.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 3:45pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Noise and speedbumps are my strategy. If they come while nobody's home, I'm going to miss my **** but I can live with that loss.

When we're home our strategy is to make sure nobody can get to us before we can get to a weapon. We need less than 10 seconds warning from anywhere in the house and that's conservative. It's probably more like 5.

So, we have sturdy doors and we lock them, along with the storm doors. Unless they use a battering ram and come in SWAT style they're not going to get in fast enough. We keep the windows locked but I'm not overly concerned about the windows. They'll never break out a window and climb in fast enough.

We keep the outside of our house lit up with lights as a deterrent. When we go to bed I turn off all the lights inside and the outdoor lighting silhouettes anything that moves.

We live on a dead end street and have alert neighbors. We all talk to each other. New people and vehicles are noticed immediately.

I'm thinking about a camera system also.
    This is also my strategy. The only difference is that my perimeter is covered by motion sensor lights everywhere except the front porch. That light stays on all night.

I live in a cul de sac, and know all my neighbors. I'm known as the Marine guy with all the guns.

I cannot over state how important it is to both know and be on good terms with your neighbors. They cover my back when I need it and vice versa.
    Shut the hell up and train.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 4:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since we're on the subject, I'm going to vent. I constantly have to battle my wife about the goddamn blinds. Turn the bastards one way, you can see in the house. Turn 'em the other way and you can't. Dammit woman, how complicated is that?????

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 5:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    This is also my strategy. The only difference is that my perimeter is covered by motion sensor lights everywhere except the front porch. That light stays on all night.
    This weekend, I installed light sensors in the outdoor lighting so I don't have to worry about flipping the switches on/off and/or wasting electricity.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3 dogs alarm system. We are renting but I have often thought about a 4 camera system. I wouldn't monitor it but it is good to have that piece of mind for anything that happens while you aren't home

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 4:24am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think that's something we really take much notice of on this side of the pond. My house has no alarms or fencing to speak of, there's a bit of hedging and a few shrubs marking the boundary. If someone wants to come poking around then, well, meh frankly.

If someone were to get into the house with me inside it, suppose I'd be grabbing a knife or hammer or something if I was close enough to where they're kept. I've got some MA weapons (sai, escrima stick, blunt machete) stashed away somewhere in one of the spare bedrooms but they wouldn't be much use. If I was in the TV room the only weapon I'd have handy is an 18" statue of the Egyptian god Min, like this but 4 times as big:

I suppose I should start working on a kata for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 7:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since we're on the subject, I'm going to vent. I constantly have to battle my wife about the goddamn blinds. Turn the bastards one way, you can see in the house. Turn 'em the other way and you can't. Dammit woman, how complicated is that?????
    amen brotha!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 11:00am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have the deadbolt doors, heavy metal, along with double pane windows with lockouts. Have alarm system active, on "stay" when we leave so the varmit does not set it off but any intrusion will excite his curiosity, and weapons concealed but readily available when we are home. A few bites, a few punctures and bullet wounds and what is left is packaged up for my brothers and sisters in blue. :)
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast