Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 11:35am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Marketing Value of Social Network Accounts

If you had a Facebook account or twitter account that had thousands of links/users/friends then does that account have marketing value?
    In the way that youtube videos have marketing potential hence the option to allow paid for ads.

If I could create a twitter account and get 100,000 people following it, do you think a business would pay to have their product tweeted about?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 11:46am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad you're not a supporting member. We have a business section that just covered this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 12:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes that would have bee interesting.

I read recently about a case where a employee worked for a electronics company and one of his duties was to blog. The employee was using a company account to do this blogging.
    He soon left the company and transferred his Friends/followers to his new personal account.

The business took him to court and I believe it is the first time that a Follower has been legally attributed a financial value. I cant remember too well, but I think the outcome was that he got to keep the list of followers but had to pay the business per follower.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It helps, but online presence is one of those things that's very easily over-estimated. Most of my clothing sales still come from people seeing my stuff in person at artisan markets or conventions and deciding that they need to buy some of it.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMMA View Post
    If you had a Facebook account or twitter account that had thousands of links/users/friends then does that account have marketing value?
    In the way that youtube videos have marketing potential hence the option to allow paid for ads.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMMA View Post
    If I could create a twitter account and get 100,000 people following it, do you think a business would pay to have their product tweeted about?
    Not unless your audience is a REALLY good match for their product...and even then probably not. But really this question is moot because there is no way in hell you can get that many followers on your Twitter account.

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you got 100K followers on twitters and then started tweeting about businesses on a for-hire basis, you wouldn't have 100K followers for long.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 4:51pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope. Amount of followers means diddley-squat. Social engagement, on the other hand, means something.

What's the point of having hundreds of thousands of followers if none of them are engaging with you? You can have more social influence having 100 followers than hundreds of thousands. Influence, and therefore brand awareness, depends more on quality of followers than quantity of followers.

And just so you know, there are many social network profiles that will only follow you if you're following them. In fact, there's automated software that will do this for you. IMO, that software is a waste of money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had an idea, I was thinking of calling it "Where am I London?" basically this would be based on Twitter and Facebook.
    At Random times a picture is posted of me or a friend of mine standing in a Location in Central London, the Idea is that the first person to find the individual and greet them gets 10, at which point a photo of the winner and the cash is posted on-line.
    The hope would be that by pushing the page in as many London related groups/pages as possible ad pushing it by word of mouth enough followers are gained in order to have some leverage to find sponsors for additional prizes in turn giving people more incentive to follow. The End game would be when you have enough active followers that you can charge people to be a sponsor and that charge would cover expenses etc...

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 12:06am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Nope. Amount of followers means diddley-squat. Social engagement, on the other hand, means something.

What's the point of having hundreds of thousands of followers if none of them are engaging with you? You can have more social influence having 100 followers than hundreds of thousands. Influence, and therefore brand awareness, depends more on quality of followers than quantity of followers.

And just so you know, there are many social network profiles that will only follow you if you're following them. In fact, there's automated software that will do this for you. IMO, that software is a waste of money.
    Ding! There's a funnel. It's Awareness, Affinity, Engagement, Consumption, Loyalty, then. Advocacy. Most companies don't want just awareness. They want the engagement and for their product and marketing campaigns to be viral (see Old Spice, Dos XX's, Kony 2012).

What brands are looking for is digital properties that have a greater consumer engagement levels and better affinity transfer (think I like Bullshido and Bullshido is sponsored by Umbrella Corp, I like Umbrella Corp).

You're idea is possible, but I'd express doubt unless you had some sort of entertaining content on the website other than "Hey find this Brit and get some cash"

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 12:09am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    It helps, but online presence is one of those things that's very easily over-estimated. Most of my clothing sales still come from people seeing my stuff in person at artisan markets or conventions and deciding that they need to buy some of it.
    I'd say that's because your consumer base can't find your website. Nobody knows to look for your stuff. How did people knew they wanted Apple products in early 2000s until Apple told them they did.

How are you advertising btw?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast