Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 8:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ White Belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Girl Grappling Gear Grief :/

I was told this would be the best place to post this, so here goes.

I've been training BJJ for about a month now, and I've run into some 'issues.' Especially during that one week every 28 days, I end up needing to tap in positions male players don't have to. I call it a 'boob lock' and my bf (sometimes my partner) has been working around it, but that's (in my mind) sissy bullshit lol. I won't always be grappling with him, so I want to fix it.

Another issue I have noticed is when I get kicked in the groin (intentional or not) it HURTS like a BITCH! Even just an accidental push, press, or when someone puts their hooks in high on my thighs and bumps me is VERY uncomfortable.

So I did some research... and the closest thing I found to what I'm looking for is the woman's 'no foul' protector...
    http://bodybuilderfitness.com/librar..._Protector.jpg
    Seriously, it's a diaper made out of a crash mat material! There is NO WAY that is comfortable! lol. And it will most likely make my gi fit odd as well.

For the chest, I have been looking at a fencing chest protector like this one:
    http://images.villageorigin.com/0022.../001.jpg?s=272
    But I have a feeling that it would be either not allowed in tournaments, or if it was allowed, it would probably end up pinching during grappling and almost certainly be more pain than the afore-mentioned issues.

Is there some sort of female cup? I mean, a thin, flat bit if hard plastic would be fine! And for the chest, I'm not sure what would work. Maybe something like the fencing chet protector, but more flexible? Hope I can get some answers here ^.^

<3

Lilly

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 8:52am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Groin protection for women is very hard to find. This one is a slimmer model mainly for TKD.
    http://www.kwonusa.com/kwonUSA/shop_...570&agnr=40408

Chest protection is going to be a very tough thing. Many of the women I trained with will use a very tight sports bra but none have ever used any padding like a chest protector. There are some sports bras with plastic cups in them too that you may try.

I am saying this with the utmost of respect and sincerity please don't take it badly. You will get a little tougher as time goes on. Right now everything is not use to being uhm handled so roughly so it will take some time to get use to the , sigh, abuse.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 8:54am

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to a hockey suppliers website they have female cups there, that's the only place I've ever seen such a thing, in fact they also have female chest protectors as well. The chest protector is a little thinner than most MA equipment.If that doesn't work look to other sports protective equipment. To be honest I've never heard of these problems from any of the women at my school voluntary or by the grimace of pain during rolling.Good luck

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 8:55am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was afraid that was going to be the answer ^.^; Thanks though, I may check out the groin protector you posted, and I've actually never heard of sports bras with plastic in them I'll definitely check into that!

ETA: It's really only during pms, when EVERYthing is painful, but that's such a lame excuse to tap :P

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 9:42am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I was told this would be the best place to post this, so here goes.
    The person who told you that was referencing this thread: Gi / grappling apparel megathread - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

However, your post would probably get lost in that thread as it is quite large at this point. In the future, as a beginner, I would suggest that you stick to the Basic Technique forum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 10:07am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never run into those problems during any time of the month. Most of the women I've worked with haven't brought up anything remotely similar. You might want to talk with your doctor to make sure your hormone levels, especially your prolactin levels are normal. In the interim, if it's mainly tenderness in the nipple area, you can go to a baby store and get a set of nipple protectors and tape them in place for practice. If it's the entire mamary gland, definitely see your doctor. Fencing protectors? they pinch, would be immediately apparent to your partner. I never use one outside of a fencing tournament where it's required and they check.

As for groin protection - I've never had a need. Never known another woman to have an issue. Yes, getting kicked just right hurts, but I usually wind up with a bruise when hit just right with enough force.

Seriously, check your levels with your doctor and make sure that it's a simple problem and not an indication that something else is going on.

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 10:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do have issues with hormones, I have PCOS and a ruptured thyroid. I'm sure it's not a common problem to have both, but I'm trying to work with it. :) I'll look into the protective gear suggested, thanks again!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 10:43am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sports bra with removable plastic cups:
    http://www.turtle-shells.com/about.htm
    More notable site (same product):
    http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...tive-cups.html

My wife really like the ares fight gear one but it is much bulkier and designed for striking.
    http://www.ariesfightgear.com/chest_protectors.htm

This is a woman's cup that I have seen IRL it is thinner than it looks in this picture.
    http://store.titleboxing.com/fgpp.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 10:43am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I should have just responded to your newbietown question instead of redirecting you.

So, check this, might work well for you as a groin guard.
    http://www.mmawarehouse.com/Shock-Do...p/shk-1013.htm
    and check the shock doctor site as well
    http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/w...protector.aspx

also, take a look over at Title, they have a lot of chest guard options (traditionally more for a striking focus but may do what you want).
    http://www.titlemma.com/sf_678/c_675.aspx

And Anna will probably chip in here too now that she's seen your Newbietown thread.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 1:17pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boobie protection doesnt need to be anything super bulky. One solid thin piece is fine, you can cut plastic to fit it if necessary but the point is just to disperse impact so it's not focused in any one spot so it's not necessary that they be heavily armored and I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be tourney legal. They don't make you any harder to choke or joint lock and they're allowed in striking competition where they're much more protective since they often cover the solar plexus.

Personally would not buy turtle cups again. Did not like them, now have a thin little one piece chest protector that's trimmed and has the edges taped and hardy noticeable in grappling or striking.

Have never had any real issues with getting hit down below, like maybe once every year or two I'll catch something just right and it's like...."ok, gonna take a minute on that one" but one time a tournament was supposedly mandating that females had to have groin protection so I got the cheapest 10 dollar pelvic protector I could find. It wasn't terrible but ultimately didn't find it worthwhile to bother with but like I said, it's pretty rare that I'll get hurt down there so preferred to not deal with them.

I'd say get something as small as you can. Doesnt need to be heavy duty imo but more expensive will probably mean more wearable.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast