Posted On:
    3/26/2012 8:44am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bert Sugar dies at 74

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3078517.story

From the article

MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. -- Longtime boxing writer and historian Bert Sugar died Sunday at a Westchester, New York hospital. He was 74.

Sugar, known for his trademark fedora and cigar, was inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame in 2005.

According to the Hall of Fame's website, Sugar was a graduate of the University of Maryland and attended law school at Michigan. He briefly practiced law after passing the bar in Washington, DC and also worked in advertising before pursuing his passion for boxing.
    For a casual fan like me, Bert Sugar's writing in both books and essays made boxing accessible beyond the stylized movies, I'm sure he'll be missed in boxing circles and beyond

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 1:39pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I think he'll be missed. Thanks to ESPN now in the UK we get to see some the programmes to which he contributed as a knowledgeable boxing journo. As a long time reader of The Ring, the old KO, even older Boxing Illustrated, I was familiar with him through the page.

RIP Bert.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing Historian/Writer Bert Sugar Passes Away

This man was a virtual encyclopedia of Boxing knowledge and a fine writer. He had very few equals among his peers and its always a sad day when someone who is that knowledgeable and has witnessed so much ring history passes on.
    One of Boxing's first true historians.
    He was highly respected among Boxing fans and fighters alike and will be sorely missed.
    He was 74.
    RIP Bert.
    http://www.tsn.ca/boxing/story/
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra