Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

('._.)

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 5:30am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

1 hook in from the back= more options than two?

I would often find myself in a position where I was controlling someone from turtle position, but he had good defense there so I wasnt able to pull anything off. Sometimes I would be working on this for 2 minutes, trying to take his back, trying dŽarce etc. But everything is defended. But lately I realized something, its more than enough just to get one hook in to pull off submissions, in fact, there are more options from that position than with both hooks in.

Heres a video of Stephan Kesting showing how to get it. I tried this a few times last training session and I succeeded several times, despite being very raw with it.

Now is there anyone here who uses this a lot? I know you can get the RNC from there, the twister, also a couple of leg locks if you want to get crazy. I think IŽll spend this whole week working on this move and nothing else, I can see it really opening up a new arsenal for my BJJ game.

If you have any views on this subject, please share them here. And more videos would be cool as well.
    Last edited by Draven; 3/26/2012 5:33am at .

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 10:59am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gi or no gi? Because, at least with a gi, there are a ton of back/turtle attacks in Judo that aren't typically taught in BJJ. BJJ rules strongly favor and encourage getting two hooks before proceeding with further attacks, otherwise you're giving up 4 points. Judo doesn't care. For example, armbar entries are pretty straightforward when you have one hook.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 3/26/2012 11:03am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 11:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are also 10-15 or so different collar choke variations from a clock choke set up (that I know, I'm positive there are a ton more) to set-up from turtle with or without the hook in Gi. I'll try and get some video of them and the set-ups I use....err, was taught.

Have you also tried the various hook set-up options, i.e., spiral ride, base chop, choke dekes to open the elbows, etc.

Also, don't forget the various crucifix, reverse oma-plata, lapel wraps, and reverse triangle options that can be set-up from the single hook and/or turtle.

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 12:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a good armbar series from one hook in the turtle, since that's the position you were asking about. Works with or without the gi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2012 10:12pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just triangling your legs and seatbelting your arms and pull like crazy will be a spine lock. And if doesn't make them tap it might just open up the neck for a choke or the hip for a second hook.

Bit douchey to perform fast and hard in training but very effective.

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 11:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you like triangles, there are many judo-style side and reverse triangle entries from the turtle. I can't directly link the video, but many of them are demonstrated starting at about 4:20 in the video linked here. They are skilled techniques, though.

http://aasejudo.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/sankaku-waza/

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 2:21pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 5:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And, because I'm bored, this is probably my favorite turn over at the moment: bow and arrow choke from the turtle. The initial grip is the key part.