Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 2:07pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this a old thread but since I havent been on in awhile I figured I add my 2 cents , alot of people and to a point i agree with them complain that US Karate is crappy and the sparring isnt hard contact etc, All valid points to a point , The reason why most US dojos arent rockem sockem anymore as compared to back in the day is simple LITIGATION . There are a few styles like Ryu Te which practice Bogu Kumite which allows alot more contact then say the average traditional Shotokan or Shorin Ryu Dojo . But even the WKF is starting to realize that karate was becoming a game of tag and becoming in danger of being extinct decided to up the ante with the implementation of mandatory body armor and promoting alot more vigorous karate under the new rules . Still the majority of US Dojos in most traditional dojos are not going to engage in rockem sockem kumite within the dojo , Like I said fear of lawsuits and unlike the bare knuckle days of the 60s and 70s most karate students are kids or week end warriors .There are dojos that specialize in mostly kumite but the ones Ive seen while spar vigorous do not allow full contact or excessive contact during class . Ive never studied BJJ so I wont comment on that art . Just my opinion Thanks
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 4:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxguitar View Post
    I know this a old thread but since I havent been on in awhile I figured I add my 2 cents , alot of people and to a point i agree with them complain that US Karate is crappy and the sparring isnt hard contact etc, All valid points to a point , The reason why most US dojos arent rockem sockem anymore as compared to back in the day is simple LITIGATION . There are a few styles like Ryu Te which practice Bogu Kumite which allows alot more contact then say the average traditional Shotokan or Shorin Ryu Dojo . But even the WKF is starting to realize that karate was becoming a game of tag and becoming in danger of being extinct decided to up the ante with the implementation of mandatory body armor and promoting alot more vigorous karate under the new rules . Still the majority of US Dojos in most traditional dojos are not going to engage in rockem sockem kumite within the dojo , Like I said fear of lawsuits and unlike the bare knuckle days of the 60s and 70s most karate students are kids or week end warriors .There are dojos that specialize in mostly kumite but the ones Ive seen while spar vigorous do not allow full contact or excessive contact during class . Ive never studied BJJ so I wont comment on that art . Just my opinion Thanks
    It's a thought, but what of other full contact striking arts, Karate or not? If I had to make a guess, it would be that the clientele of the typical traditional Karate dojo might not appreciate the value of hard sparring, or simply are unable or unwilling to do such an activity.

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 4:44pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most Karate Schools teach watered down Karate , There are alot of claims of being traditional this or traditional that but the truth the average dojo the largest by far clientele are kids and most parents dont want to see their kid get messed up in a dojo , Now there are hard core places that exist that go balls out but usually they are small and private dojos generally open by invitation and word of mouth . For Example in one of the places I train members of the US national team frequently show up and when they spar with advanced students or elite athletes like themselves they go a bit more brisk with the contact but even then they dont blast each other . Point being in the US today being sue happy most dojos are light to moderate contact of course always exceptions but few and far between.
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123