Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/25/2012 8:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well yes we are all someone's bitch, but I am not in the Navy thank god. Okay so definitely no shorinji and now judo is on the list.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    3/25/2012 11:00pm

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Daido juku would be a great for ya'.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/25/2012 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Gezere is a little prejudiced against Shorinji Kempo. I trained with Yukio Kono 4dan Shorinji Kempo back in the day when he was getting his PhD here, and he was fantastic (he'd come down on sparring nights to our big school and take on the bbs, who included state kickboxing champ, KK champ and so forth). His dojo took various championships and even at least one cage fight in SLC. I dunno if he was typical, the Shorinji he taught had shitty kata, good embu (two person kata) and really good explosive striking drills, hard sparring + some JJ type stuff. He and his students sparred very well. So there. And he and his high rank Japanese high dan did amazing massage (everyone every couple months did body work on each other for an entire class). He did, however, quit Shorinji and join Kyukushinkai later on when he went back to Japan, so maybe Gezere is the Correct. But I'd go watch any class that you are considering; the possible ego problems of Sensei out-weigh style considerations / friendly safe atmosphere is important, and mostly find a school you enjoy.

And I've seen two good Shotokan dojos in 45 years... not the best odds.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 11:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't or didn't Shoriji Kempo fabricate a lingeage and/or make outrageous claims? If you care to pursue training, it might be worthwhile looking into some of that; if there is enough suspicion or outright falsehood, personally, I wouldn't want to learn from liars. Regardless, I get the impression it might be an Aikido situation where you should do Kempo really only if the esoteric elements of it have appeal; like Gezere et al say, there are proven solutions to training to fight. If that's what you want, don't cheat yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 12:05pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shotokan is a joke in Japan? Really?

I was very impressed with what they do here.

And this chick is HOT

But I guess if the guys with experience say it sucks then it sucks. :( I was considering going to a Shotokan school in my area.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 12:39pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post
    But I guess if the guys with experience say it sucks then it sucks. :( I was considering going to a Shotokan school in my area.
    I think the point that was trying to be made is that Shotokan, especially over here in the states, is inconsistent. Shotokan can be taught and practiced in an alive manner. However, even when taught in an alive manner has a lot of fluff around any practical self defense aspects (which goes back to the OPs original post).

You want good skills: Judo, Kyokushin, Boxing, Muay Thai. Much more consistent, and they require training in an alive manner.

My 2c.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 10:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    Doesn't or didn't Shoriji Kempo fabricate a lingeage and/or make outrageous claims? If you care to pursue training, it might be worthwhile looking into some of that; if there is enough suspicion or outright falsehood, personally, I wouldn't want to learn from liars. Regardless, I get the impression it might be an Aikido situation where you should do Kempo really only if the esoteric elements of it have appeal; like Gezere et al say, there are proven solutions to training to fight. If that's what you want, don't cheat yourself.
    I think that you are speaking out of your asshole. If you have ANY evidence, then please feel free to share. If you want to spread rumor and innuendo, piss off.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 10:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking of post #9 on the following thread (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44702). That was careless of me, I'm sorry that upset you. :(
    Last edited by DARPAChief; 3/27/2012 10:58pm at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 10:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good place where you want to keep training is probably the number one thing.

The Shotokan and Kyokushin dojos sparred every Friday years ago in Honolulu - they had a great dojo under Kevin Funakoshi (nephew or grandnephew).

We were doing pushups once in a Shotokan dojo in Mexico and a skinny guy stopped and the instructor went over and asked why. I'm tired, say wimp. DO 'EM yelled instructor. Then the instructor started kicking the guy in the ribs. In a couple seconds he was doing pushups again. Instructor said, see, you aren't tired. So there is good old karate tough Shotokan, but what I've seen here on the Mainland US hasn't been good.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 11:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    I was thinking of post #9 on the following thread (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44702). That was careless of me, I'm sorry that upset you. :(
    No biggie, sorry if I got too pissed, it's just that I watch Yukio kick the Utah kickboxing middle weight champ across the floor (he'd been nailed and obviously wanted revenge and went for a massive front kick, as the champ [Kurt King} went to block, in midair Yukio kicked with his other leg, the big kick being a fake, and lifted Kurt off his feet - Kurt was more of a Benny disciple than a KK bb and didn't value Japanese taditions, but this time, after sliding on the hardwood floor, jumped up and bowed and said arigato). And it was told to me that the style was a new art based on various trad stuff, meant to be both a Buddhist religion (advanced bbs wear monk robes I believe) and an attempt to help rebuild Japanese character and pride after WW2.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast