Posted On:
    3/23/2012 11:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shorinji Kempo vs Shotokan Karate

Hello Gentleman
    So recently I started to study Shotokan Karate here in Japan. I like how it focuses on power and a solid structure of balance. Although all I really am learning is Kata.

Recently I was told about Shorinji Kempo and that it included some joint manipulations (big fan) and was perhaps more practical as a self defense art (kind of what I am looking for)

Anyways I plan to go and try out a Shorinji class but I was wondering on some ideas from you guys and gals about the defensive aspects of both and which art I am most likely able to pick up practical combat techniques without having to sort through the fluff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 12:10am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiL View Post
    Anyways I plan to go and try out a Shorinji class but I was wondering on some ideas from you guys and gals about the defensive aspects of both and which art I am most likely able to pick up practical combat techniques without having to sort through the fluff.
    Could I ask to see some links to the schools? With a few exceptions, I would say that the school is more important than the art. It is most important to know how they spar (are you training in an alive manner?) and how often sparring occurs. If you are not familiar with aliveness, please use the search function on the site.

Neither art would be a first choice for a short route to combat effective technique without fluff. That being said, these arts can be taught in a manner to make them effective (again, why the school and how they train is so very important).

If you want very effective technique with a minimum of fluff, my short list would be Judo, boxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian JiuJitsu, and Wrestling. There are others to be sure, but these arts give a bit of instruction and then have you attempt to apply it against a fully resisting opponent.

Good luck!

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 12:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much for your response.

Unfortunately no links, they may have links to their Japanese schools but both courses are hosted by the US Navy using Japanese Instructors. To me they both seem aimed towards children which is exactly not what I want. I would have the ability to spar against the instructors whom seem incredibly knowledgeable but not against any students as they are all children. So it would be me against black belts in both courses. Which could undoubtedly be beneficial. I don't see children sparring but I am sure if I tell them I am interested in an actually hands on learning experience with they could do that.

After watching the words of wisdom youtube videos I can honestly say Shotokan seems kind of a joke. I have noticed this with some Japanese MA that it is just formulated practice and even in sparring there is no aliveness. Since it is my understanding that Shotokan teaches no ground techniques and is more of boxing/kickboxing sport fighting style I will most likely not continue it despite the obvious benefits of powerful strikes and balanced kicks. I felt turned off by the solid stance because I always felt that movement was essential to gaining an advantage in combat (ie boxing) I feel that that shotokan karate would be ineffective as a fighting style against a dangerous opponent without putting in a good 5 years minimum.

That said I will try to attend a Shorinji class soon and see how that feels. The fact that it does have submission and focuses on targeting weak points using speed seems more realistic then using powerful strikes to bring down an opponent.

Thanks again.

Registered Member

Where tornadoes come sweeping down the lane.

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 1:45am

Style: Bas Rutten's MMA workout.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say go watch some classes at the Kodokan, then find a Judo class. But that's just my advice.
    In all fairness as you are in country there it sounds like, finding more intensive karate instruction shouldn't be that hard. I know there are some Bullies who have personal Japan knowledge, they should be able to help.

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 2:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadqiel View Post
    I say go watch some classes at the Kodokan, then find a Judo class. But that's just my advice.
    In all fairness as you are in country there it sounds like, finding more intensive karate instruction shouldn't be that hard. I know there are some Bullies who have personal Japan knowledge, they should be able to help.
    Yeah I have been looking but in my area difficult to find, Sasebo is pretty Inaka (countryside) recently I saw a gym with a bunch of bags, maybe they got something going on. MMA or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 2:37am

Style: Bjj & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude if u are in japan you should look for a daido juku school its probably the best form of karate you could find in japan

Sent from my LG-P990hN using Tapatalk

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 3:57am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awsome! yeah this is the kind of thing I am looking forward thank you. Those childish kata were driving me nuts! Now just to find a dojo in Sasebo :

Thank you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 11:17am

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you're in Japan, Why not try Judo, Kudo (Daido Juku), Zendokai (Kudo offshoot), Shidokan.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/25/2012 3:55am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shorinji Kempo as a practical SD art!?!?! NO!
    Its been a long time since I've been back to Japan but even if you are in Sasebo (Fucking Navy Bitch!) there should be a Judo school in the area. I would take that over Shorinji Kempo any day.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/25/2012 3:55am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shorinji Kempo as a practical SD art!?!?! NO!
    Its been a long time since I've been back to Japan but even if you are in Sasebo (Fucking Navy Bitch!) there should be a Judo school in the area. I would take that over Shorinji Kempo any day.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast