Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 10:10pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I'm curious... has anyone done a real bullshido investigation of Sifu Novell? I'm a fan of his videos, but if someone here has actually trained/sparred with him, I'd like to see their take on it. I did some searching but I've never been good with forum search engines. :<

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 10:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    So I'm curious... has anyone done a real bullshido investigation of Sifu Novell? I'm a fan of his videos, but if someone here has actually trained/sparred with him, I'd like to see their take on it. I did some searching but I've never been good with forum search engines. :<
    he teaches in central park, go talk to him.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 10:24pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't live near central park though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 1:43am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Like I said, it was his tone. We can agree to disagree on whether it was moderately offensive, it sounds offensive when I hear it.

Maybe it's because I've heard the exact same way of caricature used to say a lot of stupid things about black people.
    I was curious because I never heard about Joe's little tirade against Black Kung Fu before, so I searched for a video of the incident (or maybe one of the incidents, I don't know if he's gone off on this subject more than once).

I would have to agree that his tone would probably offend more than just Kung Fu people.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 1:52am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find this more offensive than anything that Joe said:

No, what he said wasn't moderately offensive it was a comedian delivering a joke. Black people make jokes about white people all of the time.

OMG noooooo.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 2:40am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    LOL, that was pretty funny. This guy is reading way too much into what Joe said and then getting defensive. I don't really find it offensive, just kind of pathetic.

No, what he said wasn't moderately offensive it was a comedian delivering a joke. Black people make jokes about white people all of the time.

OMG noooooo.....
    I didn't say it was moderately offensive, or even that I was offended, I just said that his tone would probably offend more than just Kung Fu people. Lots of people get offended about any slight inference of race, no matter what the subject, and Joe wasn't exactly being subtle. I think some people are a bit thin-skinned, but a lot of people think there is a line that shouldn't be crossed with racist humor, and people are going to differ on where they think that line is.

I also think Joe wasn't just putting on a comedy show. Yeah, he was hamming it up, but I think he believes what he was saying about the effectiveness of Kung Fu and traditional martial arts vs. MMA, and he was trying to make that point in the interview. He used the example of Black Kung Fu videos on YouTube, but he also said that he had been a victim of it himself with Tae Kwon Do (I took that to mean he was also a victim of delusional thinking about the effectiveness of traditional martial arts).

Admittedly I don't know the full context of the interview. Maybe he was trying to be controversial to stir up hype for some other unrelated reason.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 12:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha View Post
    I didn't say it was moderately offensive, or even that I was offended, I just said that his tone would probably offend more than just Kung Fu people.
    You and rabbit were discussing offensive levels. Instead of breaking it down, where he said moderately, I included both your comments in one post.
    Lots of people get offended about any slight inference of race, no matter what the subject, and Joe wasn't exactly being subtle. I think some people are a bit thin-skinned, but a lot of people think there is a line that shouldn't be crossed with racist humor, and people are going to differ on where they think that line is.

I also think Joe wasn't just putting on a comedy show. Yeah, he was hamming it up, but I think he believes what he was saying about the effectiveness of Kung Fu and traditional martial arts vs. MMA, and he was trying to make that point in the interview. He used the example of Black Kung Fu videos on YouTube, but he also said that he had been a victim of it himself with Tae Kwon Do (I took that to mean he was also a victim of delusional thinking about the effectiveness of traditional martial arts).
    You figured all of this out on a 40 second video and that is fine. That is a dig at a very specific group of Black (OMG) Kung Fuers, in New York, that have attacked MMA, BJJ, and anything that wasn't kung fu. They've been trading barbs for years.
    Admittedly I don't know the full context of the interview. Maybe he was trying to be controversial to stir up hype for some other unrelated reason.
    I know that's why I am commenting.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny little moan when he gets the guy in an arm bar. They want us to yell at my TKD school but sounding like a sick orgasm I don't think is what they want.

OMG noooooo.....

Posted On:
    4/06/2012 6:42am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pah, "Baby Monkey" is "Kidney Squeeze" in Trad JJ. ;-)

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always liked this Blacktaoist guy.

His youtube channel has some comp footage of him from the 90s and plenty of sparring footage of his own students. They look fine when they're doing some approximation of san shou, or other standup rules.

He seems like he just doesn't understand BJJ, and always errs on the side of being loud and contraversial for publicity reasons.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast