Posted On:
    3/26/2012 10:58am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    found this the other day
    Of course modern San Shou has Soviet Sambo influence, and vice versa. I think the Gen Yers who create these shitty conspiracy videos sometimes forget that for almost the entire 20th century China and Russia were like this ><. They shared tanks, planes, missiles, intelligence, and yeah martial arts.

Where's the controversy?

The Soviet military and the creators of Sambo felt a sport form was needed which could be safely practiced on a regular basis. This would also incorporate modern advancements in sports medicine and training methodology. All of which taught to them under the guidance of a skilled coach.

Under the tutelage of Soviet advisors, the Chinese endeavored to create a similar method of training their military forces. The program was perhaps more important to the Chinese who lacked an industrial base and access to most modern warfare technology. The Whampoa military instructors who studied the traditional martial art styles combined them with the modern training methods and created Sanshou and the decision was made to use a Kickboxing like format when practiced.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 2:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP should do the russian-chinese martial art thing, 'cause if Brazil, China, and Russia teamed up I think they could actually take over the world.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is a sport so a sport is a great pairing for it. Rugby is a sport. Boxing is a sport. Tactical shooting competitions are a sport.

Staring yourself out in the mirror with knife clenched between your teeth, illuminated only by the tactical flashlight raised above your head is not a sport. Think about it.

(W.Rabbit your summarized history of San Shou in Chinese martial arts is a little misleading. San Shou tournaments never stopped during the 20th century. They didn't happen 'back in the day' then disappear and then start up again recently. San Shou as a style came into existence in parallel on mainland china. They are a continuous tradition that were and are popular throughout the Chinese diaspora of Asia, many of the competitors still having trained in 'traditional' styles with names you'd recognise.

Empty handed fighting was probably of no more importance in Qin-era China than it is today, possibly less so. Pre-modern era Chinese martial arts were primarily about cutting and stabbing people with the big goofy weapons we now just do the forms with).
    Last edited by Cullion; 4/05/2012 8:58pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    BJJ is a sport so a sport is a great pairing for it. Rugby is a sport. Boxing is a sport. Tactical shooting competitions are a sport.
    Yes a lot of American law enforcement agencies are teaching their cops this sport. Cause that's what armed police need better sports moves.........

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 10:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What made you jump to law enforcement?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not me personally I just know about a lot of the training for a lot of police departments. Research from another time.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 11:52pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kung fu sucks. No kung fu in the world could ever work well with BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2012 12:03am

Style: sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Of course modern San Shou has Soviet Sambo influence, and vice versa. I think the Gen Yers who create these shitty conspiracy videos sometimes forget that for almost the entire 20th century China and Russia were like this ><. They shared tanks, planes, missiles, intelligence, and yeah martial arts.

Where's the controversy?
    I am the "Gen Yer" (?) who created the "shitty conspiracy video" because a lot of people did NOT believe there is sambo in modern Sanshou/san da

What is perhaps more hysterical to me is you insult me in your first quote and then quote me in the second quote to support your thesis.....
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123