Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 8:04pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which of these CMA would compliment BJJ best?

Hi guys and gals

I train in BJJ and want to do a CMA as well. I am thinking of either San Shou (Hung Gar based) or Wing Chun. Which of these two would you suggest to compliment my BJJ and for self defense.

Cheers

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 8:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See that search box in the corner? That will give you multiple thread on Wing chun. You will quickly see the majority consensus about the chun. Sanshou, as long as they compete, is fine. I'd say focus on your BJJ for now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 8:09pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the consensus about the Chun looks bad.....hmmmmm. What about Jow Gar Kung Fu? There is a school close by as well and they do San Shou as well but I don't think they compete. The San Shou school I'm looking at do compete in Wushu and San Shou competitions. I'm leaning towards the San Shou as I think the striking and throws will compliment BJJ well.
    Standing- San Shou
    Clinch- San Shou
    Ground- BJJ

Thoughts?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 8:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they compete their is a smaller chance of learning BS. If they do no compete the BS chance rises substantially.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try the San Shou and then come back here and tell us how soon untill you get to spar. If they spar quickly, then you are good. If they say that they don't spar or they only spar at higher levels, then leave.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 8:53pm

Style: PMA, CLF, Longfist n more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy rising View Post
    I'm leaning towards the San Shou as I think the striking and throws will compliment BJJ well.
    Standing- San Shou
    Clinch- San Shou
    Ground- BJJ

Thoughts?

Solid. I train in Choy Li Fut/Longfist based Kung Fu with an emphasis on the San Da ruleset. I also do teh Chun (kind-of) and my WC based style has a serious lack of application when used solely for the purpose of getting the fight to the ground. My instructor has even told me that the clinch/takedown techniques he teaches almost exclusively come from Kempo and Dumog.

IMO, the Chun is useful to bridge the striking and clinching aspects of a fight, but not to be used as your primary style. What you have in mind looks good, but incorporating SOME Wing Chun into your style can be beneficial to what you are learning.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 9:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-fu Jesus View Post
    IMO, the Chun is useful to bridge the striking and clinching aspects of a fight, but not to be used as your primary style. What you have in mind looks good, but incorporating SOME Wing Chun into your style can be beneficial to what you are learning.
    No. This is a refrain we hear a ton for many CMA styles. If you want to train something else for fun go ahead. Muay Thai and kickboxing do this well. Good Sanshou will do the same thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 4:10am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A thing to maybe worry about with the way you're thinking is as a beginning Sanda practitioner, I'm not all that convinced it's easy to go from Sanda style throws to groundwork.

Anecdotally I saw a Sanda-rules tournament last weekend with WC guys and even aikidoka competing. One WC guy did alright, but there were no apparent advantages to the style. He had long arms but didn't use his range, preferring to let people come close, land a few strike and get thrown. Hardly representative of course.

Sanda / Sanshou will teach you awesome counters to people striking you.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/25/2012 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy rising View Post
    Hi guys and gals

I train in BJJ and want to do a CMA as well. I am thinking of either San Shou (Hung Gar based) or Wing Chun.
    Hmm. Who is going to teach you Hung Ga, and what kind?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 7:58am

Style: Gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sanshou is good but it's a modern sport, not a traditional art. BJJ is a great complement to CMA because the ground it pretty much a universal weakness in CMA. I guess it could go the other way around too. I don't see why some CMAs would complement BJJ better than others... I guess the internal arts and Baji would be good since they like to get close, and BJJ tends to be more internal or soft as well. Tim Cartmel is a well-known example of this at shenwu.com.

With CMA as with most arts the instruction matters much more than the style.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast