insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 1:03am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tai Cheng

Tai Cheng? What the hell is this? It launched on the interwebz today.

It's a new set of thirteen (13) DVDs (available from a certain fitness website whose name I will not utter here...) that teach 18 basic Tai Chi movements, combined with a few other fitness elements.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...eng-workout.do

The big pitch is a "breakthrough teaching technique called Dynamic Motion Control" that I believe means you make Tic-Tac-Toe out of tape on the floor, and use that to align yourself when learning Tai Cheng. I could be wrong about that part...but watch for yourselves.

Where it got interesting for me is that the guy selling it is Dr. Mark Cheng:

who:

• has a REALLY compelling shuai jiao lineage
    • is apparently the kettlebell king of Los Angeles
    • Was introduced to kettle bells by none other than Dan Inosanto
    • has been mentioned positively quite a few times on Bullshido, particularly with regards to sports medicine, kettlebells, and CMA in general.
    • Please see the picture above one more time.

Dr. Mark Cheng amongst other things, was the student of Weng Chi-hsiu who was a student of Ch'ang Tung-Sheng, a legendary shuai jiao champion:

So without further ado....I offer Tai Cheng to the Bull God.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/23/2012 1:19am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see nothing good coming from this really. First of all because it is nearly impossible to learn Taiji forms correctly from video. I was showing a couple Taiji forms for a demonstration that I do for the local health department training day annually. And the last time I was demonstrating single whip. I was also explaining it. Then I told people to hold the position and walked around and corrected everyone's positioning so that for the most part they were correct. Then I turned around and had them follow me to do it again. When I turned back around, some people looked like they were doing yang style, some looked like they were doing chen, and some looked like they were praying to the sun god!

No way they will be able to learn it from a video that doesn't give feed back.

Then they will be trying to get a workout. This will not work, because American's are extremely superficial with workout. If we aren't sweating and sore from it, we think we didn't accomplish anything. So they will finish the workouts, and think they are garbage.

The few people who probably will get something out of this like ones with Taiji experience, who understand the type of workout you will get, will be so small that I doubt they will make any money off this program.

I think the program could be good, or even better in person, but this delivery system will not be good. But the video shows who they are marketing to.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 11:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Tic-Tac-Toe patterns are somehow integrated with the videos...so a form of feedback might be "is your right foot *here*?". This is brand new as of yesterday so it'll take some time to get actual customer testimonials aside from the promotional videos.

Grid/pattern floor training is nothing new...but for some reason I'm intrigued.

My wife showed me this (she does the TurboFire stuff) and my first response was "I must leave you for now, and post this on Bullshido".

Glad I took the time to learn more about Dr. Cheng though.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/23/2012 11:54pm at .

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 12:08am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rabbit: "Please see the picture above one more time."

A one legged squat isn't proof of legitimacy. Unless i'm some sort of badass a one legged squat isn't ****.

On a side note many legit instructors make videos that cater to a small audience that seem to be marketed to a larger audience.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 7:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It could be good for people who already know how to do the moves. I know that there has been a big push lately to develop a more streamline Taiji sequence. Even popular guys like Jet Li who was in the movie Tai Chi Master has been spear heading it. He said in an article that he wanted to develop a sequence for Tai Chi that would include the most effective techniques, but take out some of the repetitions. Thus making is shorter and possibly more popular.

This seems like it is doing the same type of thing. If you do it, Rabit, let me know what you think. And specifically what the sequence is. It looks to me like the videos are primarily to separate the techniques and then put them all together in the end. To from one sequence. But I could be wrong.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 1:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Rabbit: "Please see the picture above one more time."
    A one legged squat isn't proof of legitimacy. Unless i'm some sort of badass a one legged squat isn't ****.
    Understood, but no one said it was proof of legitimacy. Mark Cheng's legitimacy comes from many people and places, and not just in martial arts. Cheng is, from what I've read, very well known worldwide and a figurehead of the UCLA and greater LA martial arts, crosstraining, and sports medicine scene. Too bad I'm 3000 miles away or I'd seek this guy out....he probably still teaches Shuai jiao (he was also a shuai jiao referee at one point).

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    This seems like it is doing the same type of thing. If you do it, Rabit, let me know what you think. And specifically what the sequence is. It looks to me like the videos are primarily to separate the techniques and then put them all together in the end. To from one sequence. But I could be wrong.
    I'm conflicted. My Hung Ga sifu does Tai Chi as well(Yang long form at least, I believe) but I don't train it. I've gotten used to the so-called "external style" so I'm not sure I'd even do well with this program...I feel the need to "use the right energy" and, you know...hit stuff.

What I may do is try to convince my wife to try it out, so I'll let you know if that happens. She completes TurboFire in a few weeks and maybe segueing into Tai Cheng is something she'd have the time for...

The whole program is $120, by the way.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/24/2012 1:37pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 10:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sheesh! That's pretty hefty! Yeah, I know what you mean. I enjoy hard contact. I like Taiji too, for the meditative portion. I like to balance it out with both.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 10:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've convinced my wife to try Tai Cheng.

She gets a good discount on this stuff so the price is not as bad.

I'm pretty psyched because she seems genuinely interested, it's a lot cheaper and easier than finding decent, local Tai chi for her hectic schedule, and if she does it right I don't think it can hurt, at the worst.

The really interesting part will come, of course, when we fight. Next thing you know she'll want the gim.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/26/2012 10:40am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 2:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, and this way you will get to see the material! Write the sequences down if you get a chance. I would be curious as to how the compare with the many versions that have been developed over the years.

The cool thing is that once you learn the positions, it is a lot easier to learn a different version of the form. I started in Yang short form. Then did some Chen. When I learned the Chen Pan Ling 99 form, I was able to do it in about 3 months where some people had be trying to learn for over a year. Of course, I imersed myself in it and was practicing about 3 times a day!!
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The really interesting part will come, of course, when we fight. Next thing you know she'll want the gim.
    So does this Tai Cheng stuff even claim to be a fighting art? If it doesn't, we could cut out a lot of speculation and demonizing.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast