Posted On:
    4/08/2012 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Nope still in. Remember facetious comment would be:
    The reason why you don't like the ankle lock dude is because you're so awesome with them. I'm sure you couldn't find any training partners for the longest time because they knew they couldn't defend against them. I bet you could leg lock a paraplegic. Yes, if I was in your shoes I'd hate ankle locks too.
    Well it seems I'm stuck my foot in my mouth, I'll take a step back and kick this idea around.....

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/08/2012 4:54pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will say my appreciation for leg locks and the evolution of my BJJ game including leg locks was from Sambo Steve and a Sambo leg lock seminar he had in NYC. Even though knee reaping is illegial in Gi BJJ, I use it for control along with a full leg lace in No-gi. I also found this useful in Gi, having this base opened up using more BJJ-legal leg entanglements like Marcelo Garcia's 1-leg X guard and Ryan Hall's 50/50 guard. The key really is the leg entanglement more than the actual submission. I like to transition to whatever leg entanglement I can do (usually depends of whether I can reap the knee) and once I have control I go for whatever submission is legel/open. For example I will transistion into a leg lace regradless for control, its really independent of the straight ankle lock, toe hold or heel hook whichever are available. Additionally, if for wheatever reason I cannot find the submission I can use the leg control to stand and pass guard.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me that other grapplers have this giant hole in their game, its better for me :)

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/08/2012 9:57pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    I will say my appreciation for leg locks and the evolution of my BJJ game including leg locks was from Sambo Steve and a Sambo leg lock seminar he had in NYC. Even though knee reaping is illegial in Gi BJJ, I use it for control along with a full leg lace in No-gi. I also found this useful in Gi, having this base opened up using more BJJ-legal leg entanglements like Marcelo Garcia's 1-leg X guard and Ryan Hall's 50/50 guard. The key really is the leg entanglement more than the actual submission. I like to transition to whatever leg entanglement I can do (usually depends of whether I can reap the knee) and once I have control I go for whatever submission is legel/open. For example I will transistion into a leg lace regradless for control, its really independent of the straight ankle lock, toe hold or heel hook whichever are available. Additionally, if for wheatever reason I cannot find the submission I can use the leg control to stand and pass guard.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me that other grapplers have this giant hole in their game, its better for me :)
    Ninja please...

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 7:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ninja please...
    And Plasma left Omega speechless....

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 2:10pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    And Plasma left Omega speechless....
    And you have Hepatitis C of the brain. When you go to drink the kool aide you make sure you go back for seconds don't you?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 7:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And you have Hepatitis C of the brain. When you go to drink the kool aide you make sure you go back for seconds don't you?
    Keeping well hydrated to work on my leg locks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2012 2:23pm

Style: MARS, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Already many great answers here. My POV as far as my experience:

MMA matches: A failed leg lock is usually going to result in you losing superioir position, and potentially the round. Much safer to just punch you from half guard than to try and reverse-cowgirl you into a kneebar or toe hold.

I'd say you see a lack of it in a lot of grappling due to playing for points, and BJJ being the dominant grappling art at the moment.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/21/2012 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you're interested in leglocks/defense in mma check this out too:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116381
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345