Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 3:33am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cardio. Friend or foe?

I just finished 30 minutes of skipping/jumping rope and am currently floating down a river of endorphins. It led me to wonder how the fine folks on this forum felt about cardio. How do you get your cardio in? Is it something you dread or relish? Do you think you get enough of it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 5:46am

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lately moment my "cardio" has improved mostly by running with sprints combined with padwork, straight padwork or high intensity sparring/rolling. I skip every day and jog a little but thats been used mostly a warm up excercise.

Dont enjoy boring, mind numbing, lactic tolerance type training. But give me an opponent and it gets a whole lot easier.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my house, I alternate rounds of skipping rope and hitting my heavy bag. During my lunch breaks I do Indian club exercises, which are a bit of a low key hybrid between cardio, weights and stretching. During the warmer months, I spend a good deal of time pushing a longboard with a paddle, for several miles at a time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 12:24pm

Style: Shotokan karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    At my house, I alternate rounds of skipping rope and hitting my heavy bag. During my lunch breaks I do Indian club exercises, which are a bit of a low key hybrid between cardio, weights and stretching. During the warmer months, I spend a good deal of time pushing a longboard with a paddle, for several miles at a time.
    does anyone ever come up to you while you're doing that and ask why you're pretending you're paddling in the ocean on a surf board like a queer?

On a serious note, i'm thinking that's alot harder than it looks?

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 6:48pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure it is, especially uphill.

For cardio, I get it from jogging and martial arts training itself. I jog a 2 mile path 4 days a week, which is very hilly. It's not exactly easy, but it's a lot more leisurely than the intensity of Judo and Jujitsu. I find I like having the offset.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 7:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I surf, swim, bike or hike almost daily.
    I was surfing at sunrise today.
    BJJ is pretty demanding cardio-wise itself, don't feel like i need to add any there.
    I like jump-rope and bags, mitts etc too, but haven't done as much lately.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i do 15-20 mins of sprints pretty much every morning and train kickboxing most nights.

that along with spending my day as a personal trainer keeps me in pretty reasonable shape

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotokanbjj View Post
    does anyone ever come up to you while you're doing that and ask why you're pretending you're paddling in the ocean on a surf board like a queer?
    Yeah, it kinda surprises me- not that people would heckle someone doing something so silly looking, but that someone would heckle the fast moving guy pushing his body weight around with a big wooden stick.

On a serious note, i'm thinking that's alot harder than it looks?
    At first, but you learn how to incoroporate your whole body so the stress isn't just on one area, and how to get a smooth rhythm going. On an uphill, its a lot harder, and the route I do in the summer ends in a big hill that I try to finish without using my feet. On downhills, you can go a lot faster because you can continue pushing with both feet still on the board, and also the rubber end can act kinda like a brake.

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 2:50pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I run medium-seriously.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 3:17pm

Style: Shotokan karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Yeah, it kinda surprises me- not that people would heckle someone doing something so silly looking, but that someone would heckle the fast moving guy pushing his body weight around with a big wooden stick.

At first, but you learn how to incoroporate your whole body so the stress isn't just on one area, and how to get a smooth rhythm going. On an uphill, its a lot harder, and the route I do in the summer ends in a big hill that I try to finish without using my feet. On downhills, you can go a lot faster because you can continue pushing with both feet still on the board, and also the rubber end can act kinda like a brake.
    People will heckle anyone if they think the person isn't going to punch them in the face lol, this is fact.

I can only imagine me trying this, getting about 10 feet, then wiping out and smashing my face directly on the concrete, uphill, downhill or flat lol.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast