Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 10:43am

Style: Hayai Hashiruno-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other than the obvious answer (spar more), have you thought about taking up climbing? Yeah, it's my own personal addiction, but it builds upper-body strength like crazy, especially in the forearms, upper back, and abs, and is one hell of a cardiovascular workout. One of the better exercises I've started doing at Ye Local Climbing Gym[1] is speedwalling -- finding a relatively easy route (like a 5.6 or a 5.7), and going up and down the thing as fast as possible, as many times as possible.

Sure, it's not the same as a big wall, but by the end, if your lungs and heart aren't screaming, you're doing it wrong. :D

[1] I know it's a gym, but there's jack to climb in Sacramento, and I don't have time to get out of town on the weekends -- come summer, this will be a different story.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep your pet activities to yourself. Lots of **** "does" lots of ****.

Juggling 2 liter bottles really makes my fingers hurt, for example. Does that, however, make it a productive workout? Is it even remotely easy to determine if I've stimulated a positive, progressive and sustainable process?

No.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by NHB_Ben
    You will notice marginal gains simply from using those muscles. But, obviously, it makes a little more sense to train the muscles you'll actually be using. Otherwise, running is just mindless joint trauma. I'm good friends with a guy who has a doctorate in applied health science and I've been over this with him before. So if you have any other brain-dead comments to add... don't.
    Then why do some many top fighters run?
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 3:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an antiquated ritual for most.

Kinda like the preference for "the bench", or most people's emphasis on bicep curls.

Has anyone really strictly defined how/why those two movements are so important? No...because relatively speaking, they are not.

But they see everyone else doing it, so...
    Last edited by Nid; 4/28/2004 3:37pm at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123