• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 6:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    swimming is good as it is a bit less boring than running, and has the added benefit that it forces you to control your breathing much more than running. this is good for building an aerobic / anerobic base fitness but the best thing regarding actual mat endurance, as ben said is to train fresh opponents one after the other.

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 7:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NHB_Ben :

It will give you better Cardio (specifically Anerobic) with wich to do anyting . Swimming is my preferred Option , as it uses a LOT more Muscles in Total , and trains body-unity but nothing will make you a better Fighter except training . This will allow you to Train for LONGER at each sesh , however . Full-Body , Full-Stop Sprinting (on land or in Water) has a DRAMATICALLY different effect than just "plodding along" which is what yo0u have to do when youre Training . You simply CANNOT keep your Heartrate at its MAXIMUM for the time that you can while Sprinting when youre Grappling/Sparring . It would just be aimless Flailing about . And if you cant do that then the Volume that your Capillairies can get where they need to get it just wont be expanded to its Maximum . Muscular Endurance and Maximal Fitness are 2 seperate things , both of which are needed .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 8:28am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blah blah blah! Bad advice from many people without much Cardio ability. If you want mad cardio power and short recovery times. Why not do what elite cardio athletes do?(marathoners, triathletes, etc.)

Get a heartrate monitor and learn how to properly heartrate train. Nothing will improve your cardio faster. It will take about 6 months though. Real cardio gains take longer than Skeletal Muscle gains.

Here have a million links about heartrate training: http://www.joedom.com/joedom.com/index.shtml
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 9:03am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by WhiteShark
    Blah blah blah! Bad advice from many people without much Cardio ability. If you want mad cardio power and short recovery times. Why not do what elite cardio athletes do?(marathoners, triathletes, etc.)
    dude, i read in a magazine that the rock does high intensity interval training. do you wanna be like some guy who rides a bike for 14 trillion miles, or do you wanna be like the rock? you go and have your little fun with your bogus "heart rate monitor" and marathons while me and the rock pull mad supermodel gash at fancy parties. while wearing totally heterosexual wrasslin' panties. and shooting up buckets of steroids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 10:03am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn I hadn't thought about "Teh Rock's" training regiment! You're Right I'm getting off my bike right now and going to pound some supermodel hoochie! Crap my lead is limp from too much bicycle seat :( Help I need "Teh Rock" in my pants!!1

PS for those of you looking for serious responses interval training is part of an effective heartrate training program.
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 10:18am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we all need teh rock in our pants, my friend. we all do.

hold me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 11:22am

Style: Extreme Ukemi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused, isn't what was described by a few people already (with sprints alternated with lighter walking/running) essentially a form of high intensity interval training?

$1.50

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: golf club jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the routine I'm working on: http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch18.html

I bought "Stretching Scientifically" from Thomas Kurz, who wrote the article on the link above. The book also has a few points on how to train the body (muscle) to use oxygen better, cardio workout on efficient delivery of oxygen, breathing routine to induce growth hormone, yada yada.

I can see the sprint/walk routine being a more "brutal" or classic way of getting the job done... I'll try this when I run this weekend...
    zenbert
    Hold me... :3some:

I love MA. Unlike many things in life, you get what you put in.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SPAR, SPAR, SPAR....and hit the heavy bag. And do your sprints. That **** does work because it is not just training your sprint, its training the same energy system as fighting, ie your high intensity, low volume system.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 5:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spar and train hard... do 2:00 rounds with :30 seconds rest. Hit the heavy bag.

Running won't necessarily make you a better fighter but it will improve you'r cardiovascular endurance. The backbone of almost every pro fighters training program involves some type of running. What I like to do is when running on a track sprint the straightaways of the track and jog the turns of the track. do this for as long as possible after having jogged for a mile or two.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast