Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 11:38pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    I really like what you're trying to do here but you have to understand that white belts don't know what the **** you're talking about or what they're looking at.
    This type of thread is designed to help them get better faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    Explain me this DLR hook.
    That is a subject outside the scope of "Common white belt mistakes".
    Shut the hell up and train.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 7:17am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sirc:
    That's what all of those words after the pretty moving picture are for.

Daddykata:
    Focus on controlling the parts of your opponent that are closest to you. When you start each roll just try to keep that in your head. The closest part of your opponent is the part you will have the easiest time controlling and manipulating with the least amount of interference.
    It won't always work how you want it to, but you'll give away a lot less if you try to keep that idea in mind.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 7:23am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    That is a subject outside the scope of "Common white belt mistakes".
    Is my best (level appropriate) counter to that sneakiness just to try to stay out of that position, or could/should I do something about it, like i dunno, maybe step the hooked leg way back and try to take a bit of his leverage away?

I know the thread is about something else, but since this move came up...
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 3/21/2012 7:27am at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 7:35am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually that question feeds right back into the original point.
    The best defense against that at your level is to get a grip on the knee and back your leg out, then work to control the ankles/knees.
    It doesn't matter whether you know what a DLR hook is or not. You know that the closest point on your opponent is that ankle now, so that's what you need to control first.

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 7:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Actually that question feeds right back into the original point.
    The best defense against that at your level is to get a grip on the knee and back your leg out, then work to control the ankles/knees.
    It doesn't matter whether you know what a DLR hook is or not. You know that the closest point on your opponent is that ankle now, so that's what you need to control first.
    This "closest point" idea is pretty helpful; thanks. I haven't rolled in over a month, but this thread is giving me the bug...

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 7:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Javier Vazquez explains relevant things:

If you do not do these things and get DLR-hooked, my favourite escape is to take nice big back step with the free leg, control his non-hooking leg, then step the free leg back over so that you're square again. You must do this quickly (or settle into reverse half-guard/kneebar), otherwise he will start taking your back.

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 8:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Javier Vazquez explains relevant things:

If you do not do these things and get DLR-hooked, my favourite escape is to take nice big back step with the free leg, control his non-hooking leg, then step the free leg back over so that you're square again. You must do this quickly (or settle into reverse half-guard/kneebar), otherwise he will start taking your back.
    At least I guessed the initial back step :)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 8:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DLR - De La Riva

DLR Hook - Your opponent hooks your front leg from the outside in.

The "White Belt" problem leading to the DLR Hook (which then leads to the downfall and ultimate control of the match by Kint) is the failure of the guy in black to commit to the Knee Slice Split Pass (my name for it).

With the guys right knee up, i.e., Combat Base with Right Knee Up, there are two BASIC passes to decide between. However, before you get to those passes you need to ensure your posture is good AND there is NO SPACE between your right calf and right hamstring on the leg that is up. Any space will result in and upper belt securing the DLR hook to disrupt your base and start working his game.

BASIC Sweeps from Combat with Right Knee Up:

* Both sweeps require you to lead with the right knee.

1. Standard Knee Slice Pass: Drive your right knee to the floor so the knee is on the floor next to your opponents right hip. YOU MUST get the underhook on your opponent's LEFT side as you drive your knee across and to the floor. Failure to get the underhook will result in getting your back taken. Your shin should be pinning your opponents hip and leg to allow you to step over with your left leg. Grab your opponents right tricept with your left hand while putting shoulder pressure on his head as you drive forward for the pass. Pull up on the left shoulder with the underhook while pulling up on the right tricep and baseball slide to a modified scarf hold to complete the pass.

2. Knee Slice Split Pass: Same initial set up. However, you will be driving your right knee to the floor over and pinning your opponent's left leg. As you drive your right knee to the floor, pinning the leg with your shin, you drive your left up under your opponents right leg, essentially splitting him open for the pass to his left side (the first pass was to the right, this one goes to the left as determined by which side you drive your knee through). Your right arm goes behind your opponents neck on his left side. Provided he is split enough, you back step your left leg out while keeping his leg pinned with your right shin throughout the back step. To finish, replace your right shin with your left hand against his hip and pull your right leg through to secure side control.

Failure to FULLY commit to either of these passes will immediatley lead to what we witnessed in the VID and will result in the White Belt having to deal with a position he is not familiar with...De La Riva Guard or some variation thereof.

Work those two passes with strict attention to detail and opponent control. Each movement has a purpose and failure to properly secure each step opens options to counter for more experienced guys.

EDIT: I'll bring my flip cam to class and try to get an example posted of these passes. I'm sure they are all over you tube as well.

Oh...almost forgot. JNP is right with regard to discussion on the use of the DLR Hook and reference to "ye 'ole back step to knee bar to counter the DLR hook" should be the subject of a different thread.

In my opinion, in the beginning, a White Belt should ALWAYS remember that you are giving up position when going for ANY leg lock...giving up position is the deth knell for anyone in the beginning.
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 3/21/2012 8:57am at .

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 9:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see now that the dude gave up his position at 0:14 by waiting to establish his combat base until after Kint steps outside his guard to set DLR hook. Guidance please: At this point (0:14) Kint's given up his open guard for half-guard. It seems to me the better play for the white at this point is to knee-cut to his own left where he has a much better shot at getting to side-control (or at least, smash-half). Has he been set up for a counter to that too, and I just don't see it?

DLR - De La Riva
    So that's what that is :) thanks for showing me it from the outside perspective. I never got what those ***holes were doing to me :)

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 9:15am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    I can see now that the dude gave up his position at 0:14 by waiting to establish his combat base until after Kint steps outside his guard to set DLR hook. Guidance please: At this point (0:14) Kint's given up his open guard for half-guard. It seems to me the better play for the white at this point is to knee-cut to his own left where he has a much better shot at getting to side-control (or at least, smash-half). Has he been set up for a counter to that too, and I just don't see it?

So that's what that is :) thanks for showing me it from the outside perspective. I never got what those ***holes were doing to me :)
    If he had cut to his right he would have fed directly into a scissor sweep.

If he cuts to his left there without some kind of control over me then it would have looked exactly like the sweep/backtake that I actually performed.

I would have been able to lever myself up and around to his back unless he reacted extremely quickly while cutting through. There's a small chance he could have outrun me and ended up in side control, but more likely it would have just initiated a scramble and ended up with me lazily returning to guard like a douchebag.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast