Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 3:17pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7th Degree Black Belt

Taekwondo Patterns: from 1st Degree to 7th by Master Jim Hogan.

There are not too many upper level TKD books (or any upper level martial arts books). This is a welcomed addition. Too many TKD pattern books/DVDs only cover up to 1st degree (my own organization only did dvds up through 2nd), so there isn't much available on the higher level forms. I have just received it so haven't had much of a chance to dive in. Has anyone else picked this up?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 4:05pm

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have not picked it up. By all accounts Master Hogan is a heck of a guy and good martial artist. Those 15 patterns contain 751 moves. So, to show every move in one volume would likely make it a large book.

For those having acces to the 15 volume encyclopedia in print or electronic version, I would have to question how much additional value this would have unless it's simply to throw in your gear bag and have it as a resource. There are other pattern volumes that serve this purpose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 10:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a fairly hefty book at 320 pages. The techniques are shown across the top of the page and in the corner is a diagram to help one know exactly where they are in the form (i.e. top of the line facing east). The bottom of the page shows one application of the technique or a tip for teaching that technique. I don't know if will throw it in my gear bag but will take the book with me when working on a new form or teaching the forms below my rank. I have the encyclopedia but don't take it with me to training and often don't want to cue up the lap top.

What are the other pattern resources that you are referring to?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 10:58am

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The USTF has a Pattern Handbook, and I believe other orgs do as well. It basicaly copies the text from the encyclopedia having been updated as the encyclopedia was updated.

It has some nice features like putting some motions, Fast, continuous, connecting, etc. in bold face or italics so it stands out.

The one thing lacking, and I don't know if Master Hogan's book or others have it are the foot diagrams in the encyclopedia. As I am sure you know the text descriptions as to how you step or move the feet in certain instances is woefuly inadequate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 12:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mistake... Kodang in the book is actually the renamed Juche and not the original Kodang. I didn't read that chapter as it isn't one of the patterns I am working on.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks just like every other utterly useless forms book. Why would I spend 20 bucks on the same thing I can find on the internet for free?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2012 9:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Encyclopedia of Taekwon-Do Patterns

I am currently working on my forms for third degree. In my organization that would be Gae Baek, Se Jong, and Choong Jang. I have been using the different pattern books that I have. The one that is the most helpful is Stuart Anslow's Encyclopdia of Taekwon-Do Patterns. Anslow does include the foot diagrams which is helpful. I wish his books only included the Chang Hon forms but I can understand why there are more. I am not putting down Master Hogan's book only saying I have found Anslow's to be more helpful.