Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2012 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hard rolling vs "smooth jazz"

After being forced to switch academies, I've run into a bit of a dilemma... That is, the comparative merits of aggressive rolling vs slow and controlled.

Slower rolling has helped me develop lots of good strategy and technique, but I feel like it has hindered me in competition, at times.

Thoughts/opinions?

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2012 3:18pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there no way you can talk to one of the guys you're training with and say, "hey, let's go at it a little harder for once?" I'm no grappling guy, but from my experience, both hard and light sparring have their merits and - yeah, I know this sounds very generic - the balance seems kind of important.

edit: If I'm completely oblivious to some of the serious grappling business I'll be pleased to be enlightened.
    Last edited by Azatdawn; 3/17/2012 3:21pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2012 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just hashing out the benefits of both. This new place I train is full of go-tards.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2012 8:39am

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I divide it up a little differently. I consider it more of a mobility based game vs. a pressure based game, with intensity as a separate component applicable to both. Depending on the size, strength, and attributes of my opponent, I may decide to use one or the other game.

If the opponent is significantly smaller and faster than myself, I'm more likely to try to apply heavy pressure as an attempt to limit their mobility. Conversely, if the person is much larger and stronger than myself, I'm more likely to try to remain mobile and exploit their probable reactions. However, regardless of which strategy employed, I'm still consistently trying to improve my position and submit my opponent.

Going balls out constantly at the expense of technique is spazzing, but constantly going at low intensity and asking your training partners to the do the same is laziness.