Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 5:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Common White Belt mistakes: Over Reaching

This video is of me rolling with one of our whitebelts. In it he makes several mistakes which are common to white belts. I'm going to discuss a few of them with a primary emphasis on what happens when you over reach during your passing attempts.

Video Summary:
    At the beginning you can see where I establish my grips and insert a DLR hook. I then strip his grips and while I'm slapping his hands away I barely shift my hips and transition to his back. I roll through to mount, then back to his back and continue to control him, then move to the armbar for the finish.

Minimum effort for maximum results is the name of the game. He pushes forward, but doesn't know how to get past my hooks, so I'm able to control the game from there. He never is able to get ahead of me during the transitions so he never really has a chance to avoid my attack.

Mistake:

His biggest mistake, and what allowed me to sweep him is his continued attempt to attack my collar to the exclusion of everything else. Even after I have established hooks he continues to ignore my legs and grasp at my collar.

Recommendation:
    What he should have done is to stop grabbing at my collar and grab my pants instead. Allowing me the use of my legs makes it infinitely more difficult to pass my guard. It's commong for white belts to attack as far forward as they can reach and leave half of their opponents weapons available.

Instead you should begin by controlling the ankles and work inwards in order to immobilize your opponents weapons in the most effective way. Controlling the ankles, then the knees until you are past the hips, then pinning the hips and beginning to isolate and attack the arms while working to disrupt your opponents posture to prevent them from escaping.
    Protip:
    Don't be over eager to attack the neck. Ignoring your opponents legs is a huge mistake.
    Last edited by Kintanon; 3/20/2012 5:47pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 8:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was this a planned "demo" or was it just "Hey, I've got my FLIP cam, lets vid our rolls..."

I would have liked to see you roll with the guy who was stepping off as you got on for your roll (looked like a Blue) or someone with more experience. The contrast in reaction time, positional recognition, and controlled transitional movements would have given a good contrast between the two rolls and got the point across...better.

Right now it looks like an Alliance Purple Belt playing with a new guy who forgot his Gi top.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 8:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kintanon's definitely playing pwn-the-newb, but I get his point.

I am guilty of this. I have known better for a while, and have been working the last 2 months or so on controlling the legs first, with some success. Still, bad habits are hard to break. I find myself going for the collar when I know it's not only pointless, but the absolute wrong thing to do.

I think it's reactionary behavior, caused by an inability to read your opponent's game, combined with lack of knowledge about how to counter. You reach for a point that you think is vulnerable, which is a projection of your own weakness, rather than a calculation of the current situation.

There's only so much time in a week for a novice, as myself, to train with others; can you recommend (other than train moar) an exercise or drill to help correct this errant behavior?

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 8:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can see he's thinking about a knee-cut pass, but he never commits to it. A good grip or solid obstruction to your leg at 0:16 would have been wise. Against a better person you have to decide what you're trying to work and execute it with real intention. Likely it's not going to work anyway, but beating around the bush will get you shut down before you even get to work on the stuff you planned on refining. My goal when facing a better person (most often the case) in randori is simply to force him to help me work on what I want to work on, instead of the other way around.

Slick moves Kint. I really like the way you crept up on his back.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 8:48pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We were all rolling before class. He's got about a year of experience with some small breaks. So he's not BRAND new. But he still makes tons of white belt level mistakes that make him a good partner for me to use to illustrate things. I cut this footage out of a longer roll to illustrate that point.
    The other guy walking out of the picture is one of our Blues, I have footage of me rolling with him as well that I might post up with another article. I film a lot of **** at class to provide review material for me and them. So there will be more of this stuff coming.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 8:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I think this is good stuff... you're on to something good, here.

I wish I could talk somebody into filming my crap rolls so I could critique and learn from them. Lots of the BJJ vids available online are a blackbelt rolling with somebody more experienced than me, so I get to see correct technique, but I don't get to see mistakes (at least, not mistakes that I'm currently capable of recognizing).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 9:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    You can see he's thinking
    That was my point exactly...it wasn't a cut on Kint's motives. A contrast would have been cool to see and compare the "mat time" between "less" and "more" experienced guys.

His failure to commit to the knee cut pass and control Kint's knees instead of over-reaching for the collar is what opened up his combat base and enabled the DLR hook. From there Kint's exact thought process was...

"****, I've got the leg threaded....how do I set up the Standard DLR Back Take without having the near sleeve control to prevent the run."...

i.e., the more experienced guy saw the move, started it, briefly realized the weakness...then said who weakness-smeekness, this guys is not going to respond anyway. So he played with the guys base a bit. When he hipped in to the DLR hooked leg the guy twisted slightly giving his back...and never recovered his base or tried to square back up once disrupted. From their Kint just said...

"****, all I need is half and arm drag and....BANG"....back taken and ridden to mount.

S-Mount was not high enough as the guy realized he was fucked and he smartly kept his elbows in. However, he failed to recognize that going fetal and stopping gets your back taken. What he need to do...well...there is plenty and that is not the point of the demo

Kint's back mount was pretty high due to the guy going tight fetal. When Kint took his back the guy was in PERFECT position for a low escape to turn in...but, again, there was a lack of position awareness or recognition. No idea where he was and where he needed to go to counter; or, "protect my arms and neck at all costs response."

This is a prime example of what I call White Belt Limbo.

a. The guy knows something is up,

b. Knows something does not feel right,

c. Thinks he may have been in this position before,

d. Tries to put those "feelings" in his VERY limited glossary of BJJ/Grappling techniques,

e. Tries to decide on the appropriate response to the situation,

f. ...and....CRAP!!! defend, defend, defend, defend.

As you get more experience, these 5 things start to meld together and expand at the same time. This exponentially lowers a players reaction time to a particular position or situation the more mat time he or she has.

It is a good idea for the live exemplar vids...and the contrast would be cool to watch. You could even split it further to body type, height, weight, overall size, etc.
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 3/20/2012 9:45pm at .

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 9:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really like what you're trying to do here but you have to understand that white belts don't know what the **** you're talking about or what they're looking at.

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 10:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    I really like what you're trying to do here but you have to understand that white belts don't know what the **** you're talking about or what they're looking at.
    While belt runs from free-intro-class-dude up to getting-my-blue-tomorrow

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 11:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Explain me this DLR hook.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast