228146 Bullies, 4415 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 23
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. robdaze151 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    partz unknown, Buckeye Country
    Posts
    123

    Posted On:
    4/02/2012 12:10pm


     Style: American Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know i will take some heat but I'd like to see Martinez vs Ward
  2. OZZ is online now
    OZZ's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London,Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,234

    Posted On:
    4/05/2012 7:50am

    supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to admit it, but I'd have to say Mayweather is probably the best.
    However, I disagree with the notion that Manny was given a gift decision in his last bout.
    Just to be sure, I watched the fight twice and scored it, with Manny coming ahead by two rounds.
    Close, to be sure. But in Boxing its the challenger's job to TAKE the champion's strap, not just do enough to make the decision close. Marquez failed to do that.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
  3. Tranquil Suit is online now
    Tranquil Suit's Avatar

    I have emotions.

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,548

    Posted On:
    4/05/2012 10:41am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Just to be sure, I watched the fight twice and scored it, with Manny coming ahead by two rounds.
    Close, to be sure.
    Yeah, but he didn't run through Marquez like everyone expected. Thus putting him in #2. Especially after what Mayweather did to Marquez.


    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    But in Boxing its the challenger's job to TAKE the champion's strap, not just do enough to make the decision close.
    Sir, I disagree.

    (tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
  4. OZZ is online now
    OZZ's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London,Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,234

    Posted On:
    4/06/2012 11:58am

    supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We can agree to disagree.
    But in the majority of cases, a challenger will not get a decision in his favor when taking on a well-respected champion unless he takes the fight TO him and wins the majority of the rounds convincingly, or scores a couple of knockdowns.
    Counter-punching, unless done so in a fashion that dominates the other fighter, will not convince very many judges to take a champion's belt away.
    A close decision will almost invariably end in the title -holder's favor.
    Last edited by OZZ; 4/06/2012 12:06pm at .
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
  5. Iron_Stance is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    38

    Posted On:
    4/06/2012 1:01pm


     Style: karate!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mayweather is the best boxer in the world right now. His defense is just too good. I want to see him face young lions though to see if he can handle the new up and comers. I think he'll win most if not all his next matches.:aintthatsomeshit:
  6. atomicpoet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    876

    Posted On:
    4/09/2012 12:24am


     Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Stance View Post
    Mayweather is the best boxer in the world right now. His defense is just too good. I want to see him face young lions though to see if he can handle the new up and comers. I think he'll win most if not all his next matches.:aintthatsomeshit:
    Once again, Mayweather is good. However, if you think he's a world apart from other elite boxers, I staunchly recommend that you watch more boxing.

    Yes, the argument can be made that he is the best boxer in the world. You can also make the argument that Pacquiao and Martinez are the best boxers in the world too.

    If you think Mayweather is unbeatable I have one name for you: Castillo. He should have won their first match, and kept the title. In fact, Lederman had it 115-111 for Castillo.

    Certainly, Mayweather legitimately beat Castillo in the rematch — but even then it was close. Scores in the rematch were 115-113, 116-113, 115-113.

    Mayweather is very beatable. He just hasn't been matched with someone who has done it yet.
  7. Tranquil Suit is online now
    Tranquil Suit's Avatar

    I have emotions.

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,548

    Posted On:
    4/09/2012 7:35am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    If you think Mayweather is unbeatable I have one name for you: Castillo. He should have won their first match, and kept the title. In fact, Lederman had it 115-111 for Castillo.

    Certainly, Mayweather legitimately beat Castillo in the rematch — but even then it was close. Scores in the rematch were 115-113, 116-113, 115-113.

    Mayweather is very beatable. He just hasn't been matched with someone who has done it yet.
    That was 10 years ago! That's a whole era in boxing...

    Pacman and Martinez weren't all that back then either.

    (tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
  8. atomicpoet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    876

    Posted On:
    4/09/2012 1:00pm


     Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    That was 10 years ago! That's a whole era in boxing...

    Pacman and Martinez weren't all that back then either.
    That was Mayweather's prime. He's now 35-years-old, and much slower. If he was beatable then, he is beatable now.

    Besides, everyone in boxing is beatable. Even Sugar Ray Robinson, who was the greatest to ever lace up gloves, was beaten by Jake LaMotta. Mayweather is no Sugar Ray Robinson.
  9. Tranquil Suit is online now
    Tranquil Suit's Avatar

    I have emotions.

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,548

    Posted On:
    4/09/2012 4:44pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    That was Mayweather's prime. He's now 35-years-old, and much slower. If he was beatable then, he is beatable now.

    Besides, everyone in boxing is beatable. Even Sugar Ray Robinson, who was the greatest to ever lace up gloves, was beaten by Jake LaMotta. Mayweather is no Sugar Ray Robinson.
    Which is all irrelevant since we're talking about current p4p rankings.

    (tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
  10. atomicpoet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    876

    Posted On:
    4/09/2012 6:53pm


     Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Which is all irrelevant since we're talking about current p4p rankings.
    I disagree. The first Castillo fight establishes the template for how to beat Mayweather.

    Castillo won rounds by pressuring Mayweather, and taking the fight to the inside. He was able to beat Castillo in the rematch due to superior footwork but Mayweather no longer has this advantage anymore. Instead, he makes due with coaxing his opponents into the pocket, then feeding them with the jab.

    Anyone who beats Mayweather will need to know how to fight on the inside. Let's list current P4P fighters between Welterweight and Middleweight who demonstrate inside fighting skill. I'll also comment on the likelihood each fighter has on beating Mayweather.

    1. Sergio Martinez - extremely likely. He's bigger than Mayweather, has superior power and comparable speed. It's proven he has knockout power too.
    2. Manny Pacquiao - somewhat likely. He's a pressure fighter, with high volume punches. However, he also has shown weakness to counterpunching, but Marquez' counterpunching style is very different from Mayweather's.
    3. Timothy Bradley - likely. Bradley is the most underrated fighter around right now. In fact, I think he might upset Pacquiao in June. Having beat Witter, Alexander, and Peterson, he's got demonstrated ability on the inside.
    4. Miguel Cotto - not likely, but possible. This is Mayweather's next fight. Cotto is very adept at the inside, but may be damaged goods after the Margarito fight (which wasn't a fair fight at all).
    5. Juan Manuel Marquez - Not likely, but plausible. Yes, I know Mayweather ran roughshod over Marquez the last time. However, Mayweather did not bother making weight, and Marquez did not put on weight correctly. This gave Mayweather an unfair advantage. If Marquez changes his strategy just as he did against Pacquiao, it could happen.


    Of course, this list doesn't include fighters who aren't on the P4P list but might still be able to do it: Saul Alvarez, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., for instance.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.