Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 10:16pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Sergio Martinez THE best boxer in the world?

Going to lay some facts out in you. Here's what we can say about Sergio Martinez

• Is the acknowledged TRUE Middleweight champion of the world, holding The Ring belt
    • Has ended the past four fights by KO or TKO
    • Cleaned out the Middleweight division by beating elite competition (Pavlik, Williams, Macklin, etc.)
    • Is competing ABOVE his natural weight class (Jr. Middleweight)
    • Is THE most avoided main boxing

I'm not saying he is the best P4P fighter, but I'm saying the argument can be made.

Also, I think the best possible fight in boxing right now is Sergio Martinez vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 10:35am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope, best possible fight is Pacman vs Mayweather.

FYI, Mayweather has also never fought professionally at middleweight that I know of. So your super fight suggestion probably will never happen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 10:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mayweather next fight is being fought at Jr. Middleweight — a weight class Martinez can easily make. This fight is very doable.

Also, did you not see Pacquiao's last fight? He looked very mortal, with many fans thinking he was given a gift decision. He's been through a lot of wars, and it's apparent Pacquiao isn't the same fighter he was three years ago.

If Pacquiao wins against Tim Bradley convincingly — which he may not — then we'll discuss whether Pacquiao is as good as Mayweather or Martinez.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 11:40am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Floyd Mayweather.

Douchebag that he is, it's hard to make an argument against him.
    undefeated with wins over Marquez, Cotto, Ortiz, Del La Hoya, Gatti, Chavez, Mosley etc..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 12:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    Floyd Mayweather.

Douchebag that he is, it's hard to make an argument against him.
    undefeated with wins over Marquez, Cotto, Ortiz, Del La Hoya, Gatti, Chavez, Mosley etc..
    Floyd Mayweather is very good -- better than Pacquiao, in fact. That said, how good someone is should be judged on recent quality of opposition. Because he's only fought twice in three years, we can only judge him by how he did against Ortiz and Mosley.

That said, he actually hasn't fought Cotto yet. That fight is happening in May, and looks to be an exciting fight. Mayweather is stepping up in weight against the acknowledged #1-rated Jr. Middleweight fighter.

I still think Martinez' opposition has been better in the past three years than Mayweather and Pacquiao's. Four of his last five fights ended by KO victory against elite opposition. The only fight that didn't was a UD victory against Kelly Pavlik.

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 12:47pm

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    I still think Martinez' opposition has been better in the past three years than Mayweather and Pacquiao's. Four of his last five fights ended by KO victory against elite opposition. The only fight that didn't was a UD victory against Kelly Pavlik.
    I cant really agree with this.

Mayweather is fighting in a FAR stronger division.

I watched the fight against Macklin on Saturday and although I thought Martinez looked good I also thought Macklin looked nothing like 'world class opposition'. i dont think anyone martinez has faced in recent years could be described as 'elite'.(certainly not Pavlik)
    Mayweather has been criticised for cherry picking opponents but I still maintain that Ortiz, Marquez, Mosley and Cotto are a better calibre of oppostion than what Martinez is currently facing in his division.

Mayweathers legacy is tarnished because he has'nt thought Pacquaio. (and Bob Arum seems to be determined to make sure it never happens)

I love Manny and would love to see him beat Mayweather but I would bet my house on Floyd to win this fight should it ever materialize.
    Last edited by Kambei Shimada; 3/20/2012 12:50pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 1:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    I cant really agree with this.

Mayweather is fighting in a FAR stronger division.

I watched the fight against Macklin on Saturday and although I thought Martinez looked good I also thought Macklin looked nothing like 'world class opposition'. i dont think anyone martinez has faced in recent years could be described as 'elite'.(certainly not Pavlik)
    Mayweather has been criticised for cherry picking opponents but I still maintain that Ortiz, Marquez, Mosley and Cotto are a better calibre of oppostion than what Martinez is currently facing in his division.

Mayweathers legacy is tarnished because he has'nt thought Pacquaio. (and Bob Arum seems to be determined to make sure it never happens)

I love Manny and would love to see him beat Mayweather but I would bet my house on Floyd to win this fight should it ever materialize.
    The only reason the Middleweight division seems weaker than the Welterweight division is because Martinez cleaned out the Middleweight division. Mayweather, on the other hand, has not cleaned out the Welterweight division.

As far as Martinez' opposition is concerned, it has been elite even if you think nothing of Pavlik. This is what he did to Paul Williams, who was previously regarded as a top 10 P4P:

Finally, let's talk about Macklin. Granted, he's not a top 10 P4P fighter, but neither was he the tomato can Larry Merchant presented him to be. In fact, he was either the #2 or #3-ranked middleweight (depending on how you saw his fight against Sturm). Macklin was, in no way, a joke -- and should have probably been the WBA champ if not for some German home cooking.

Sergio Martinez is the real deal.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 9:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will agree with you. Especially after Pacman's last fight.

EDIT: I mean I'll agree with you on Martinez vs Mayweather is the best fight to make, not that Martinez is p4p, cause that's still Mayweather.
    Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 3/21/2012 9:55am at .

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 5:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    I will agree with you. Especially after Pacman's last fight.

EDIT: I mean I'll agree with you on Martinez vs Mayweather is the best fight to make, not that Martinez is p4p, cause that's still Mayweather.
    Mayweather's great. Not taking anything away from him.

As for him being the the #1 P4P? We'll see how he does against Cotto. Cotto is in an entirely different league than Ortiz. If he knocks out Cotto, or shuts him out -- I will agree that Mayweather should be #1 P4P.

That said, the whole point of this thread isn't to diss Mayweather or Pacquiao's achievements, but to give attention to a fighter who is at least in the same league as them -- and might be better.

Not just that, he's exciting to watch. He's gracious to opponents. He's got amazing skills, too.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 9:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mayweather.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast