1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Monday Motivation: Say Something

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAY-SOMETHING.jpg 
Views:	1099 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	13048

Politeness is the excuse, but timidity, social anxiety, fear of confrontation, and spinelessness in general are the real reasons why so many of our fellow human beings go through life with a sense of themselves that's wildly divergent from reality.

As much as I'm loathe to make the reference, it's a perfectly apt one; just watch the first few episodes of any season of American Idol. There is a significant portion of our population that's been raised to believe they're special, capable of anything, and unable to do wrong. And when they do finally run into a Simon Cowell with enough spine to provide them a reality check, there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

But as gratifying as this response may seem, it doesn't have to get to that point. These people have been so insulated from criticism by our collective, public spinelessness that their estimation of their abilities only barely stops short of running into the laws of physics. And sometimes, as we've seen here over the years, these Snowflakes genuinely try to blow past those laws; Yellow Bamboo, Chi/Ki practitioners, and even our old friend "Chrono", for example.

Ultimately, it's everyone's fault; it takes a village to raise an idiot.

But let's not limit our focus to these sad people as individuals; the bigger issue is Society. Do you want to live in a society where a significant portion of your fellow citizens are only marginally capable of functioning due to their failure to accept reality? Do you think this is a good recipe for the overall health and success of your culture? Do you think these people's low-intensity lunacy will never directly impact your life?

If you answered "no" to those questions, then you also need to ask yourself why when you see something, you fail to say something. Society is what we make of it, and by being spineless, staying silent in the face of bullshit, we all get covered in steaming piles of it.

Man up, break out your fucking shovel, and go to work. Future generations of the Human race will thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 9:43am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there's one thing the internet has taught us, it's that arguing with people who have only a loose grasp on reality gets you nowhere. IRL it's no different and just becomes more tiresome.

If people think thy're great, but actually suck, then who are they really harming except themselves? Sooner or later they're going to come up against some sort of reality check. If they can't learn from it, then why should anyone else waste their time flogging a dead horse?

Looking at it from a logical perspective, any conversation should most likely run along the lines of:

[Bullshidoka] : "You suck, you fat ****."
    [Fat ****] : "Well you're not perfect yourself."
    [Bullshidoka] : "No, but I don't suck as much as you. What's with all the lard?"
    [Fat ****] : "None of your business. What's with all the lead minatures?"

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 9:47am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weird, my dad rants about this on a regular basis.

I'm not one of those timid people. I speak up all the time.

Fair warning, if you do this a significant portion of the population will think you're an asshole even when you're in the right. On the other hand, the friends you make will tend to be capable of handling criticism.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 9:59am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    If there's one thing the internet has taught us, it's that arguing with people who have only a loose grasp on reality gets you nowhere. IRL it's no different and just becomes more tiresome.

If people think thy're great, but actually suck, then who are they really harming except themselves? Sooner or later they're going to come up against some sort of reality check. If they can't learn from it, then why should anyone else waste their time flogging a dead horse?

But that's just hand-waving. Not everyone who is confronted for having an unrealistic assessment of themselves is going to respond by sinking further into denial and delusion. Those who are genuinely worth saving, will respond positively; especially if you handle it in the right manner.

I'm not saying you should run around yelling at people like a drill sergeant. But it takes very little effort (though apparently a good deal of social courage) to engage another person like this.

Let's use the picture above as a scenario. Sure, you can whip out your cell phone and snap an image to post to Facebook for lulz. But you could also, or instead, attempt to start a dialogue with the person.

WRONG

[Landwhale] *wheeze*

[You] "Yeah right, your warmup is my workout? You apparently can't even lift a fucking carrot to that sarlac maw under your nose-holes."

RIGHT

[Landwhale] *wheeze*

[You] "My warmup is your workout... is that supposed to be funny? Obesity isn't funny. That's just shameful."

---

See the difference? Aside from the fact that Response A might make you partially at fault when Borca the Orca tries to pummel you with a 2-liter of Dr. Pepper, it has a higher likelihood of making that person shut down their reasoning completely.

Heck, he/she/it might have just thought they were being funny and not known how their physical state was shameful. At least you're providing some food for thought, that might actually worm its way through the layers of fat surrounding he/she/it's brain.

Those of us who've trained in full contact martial arts are used to being confronted by our own limitations; to such a degree that we take it for granted. But we're just a small sliver of the population in the first world that subjects ourselves to situations where we find and test our limits. Most people avoid doing so like reality is a homeless guy with open sores on his face and his pants around his ankles.

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 10:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Weird, my dad rants about this on a regular basis.

I'm not one of those timid people. I speak up all the time.

Fair warning, if you do this a significant portion of the population will think you're an asshole even when you're in the right. On the other hand, the friends you make will tend to be capable of handling criticism.
    Your dad rules.

Yeah, it took me way too long to realize that it's a lot better to surround yourself with a handful of people who have thick skins and can take/deal with criticism, than dozens of people whose delicate feelings you always have to take into account.

You have to do that enough at work, and with relatives as it is.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 10:17am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really think that calling out random people on the street is going to be helpful (though it may be all kinds of entertaining). If some random asshole came up and started offering me "helpful advice", I seriously doubt I would take any of it to heart. Just think of those annoying fuckers that like to hand out Chick tracts and tell you you're going to hell... You think or say "**** Off!" and that's the end of it. However, I agree that it is important to give family and friends a little reality check from time to time, because when your chubby cousin Billy starts wearing Tapout gear and bragging about how how he's been crescent kicking bank robbers, it might be time for an intervention.
    Smoke crack and worship Satan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 10:18am

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SO how would one approach this is issue with someone who is morbidly obese riding one of those electric carts in the store without sounding like a total dickhole?

One would think it should be obvious to the person that if they got out of the durn cart and actually WALKED, then at some point they wouldn't need to use the cart.

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 10:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    But that's just hand-waving. Not everyone who is confronted for having an unrealistic assessment of themselves is going to respond by sinking further into denial and delusion. Those who are genuinely worth saving, will respond positively; especially if you handle it in the right manner.

I'm not saying you should run around yelling at people like a drill sergeant. But it takes very little effort (though apparently a good deal of social courage) to engage another person like this.

Let's use the picture above as a scenario. Sure, you can whip out your cell phone and snap an image to post to Facebook for lulz. But you could also, or instead, attempt to start a dialogue with the person.

WRONG

[Landwhale] *wheeze*

[You] "Yeah right, your warmup is my workout? You apparently can't even lift a fucking carrot to that sarlac maw under your nose-holes."

RIGHT

[Landwhale] *wheeze*

[You] "My warmup is your workout... is that supposed to be funny? Obesity isn't funny. That's just shameful."

---

See the difference? Aside from the fact that Response A might make you partially at fault when Borca the Orca tries to pummel you with a 2-liter of Dr. Pepper, it has a higher likelihood of making that person shut down their reasoning completely.

Heck, he/she/it might have just thought they were being funny and not known how their physical state was shameful. At least you're providing some food for thought, that might actually worm its way through the layers of fat surrounding he/she/it's brain.

Those of us who've trained in full contact martial arts are used to being confronted by our own limitations; to such a degree that we take it for granted. But we're just a small sliver of the population in the first world that subjects ourselves to situations where we find and test our limits. Most people avoid doing so like reality is a homeless guy with open sores on his face and his pants around his ankles.
    I think you are overestimating the average person when it comes to their understanding of reality. I personally think that at least 85% of our current population could be considered medically retarded. People are so self absorbed, and alot of the time just outright narsasistic that trying to talk sense into them would likely just end in confrontation.

Also I think I laughed so hard reading this post that I may have cracked a rib lol.

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 10:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMF View Post
    SO how would one approach this is issue with someone who is morbidly obese riding one of those electric carts in the store without sounding like a total dickhole?

One would think it should be obvious to the person that if they got out of the durn cart and actually WALKED, then at some point they wouldn't need to use the cart.
    Well there's no real "right" way, and a crapton of wrong ways to handle it. The point isn't to nominate ourselves as some sort of roaming life coaches, it's just to call Bullshit when we encounter it; which is our mandate here in the first place.

Someone who's in a scooter could be there for one of a few dozen legitimate reasons, even if they're catastrophically obese. However, if you see someone easily walk into the store and then plop their ass down onto a cart, that might be a different story.

Again, the point's not to be a dick, but to stand up against **** like this:

And this:

That last image would be easy. "Tapout, cool; where do you train MMA at?" Conversation could spiral out into places to train if he's not currently, which might even get your instructor some business.

I've had that exact conversation, twice. Once, turned out the kid (17 or so) was looking for a school, the other time the guy responded with "oh I just watch UFC". To which I responded, "yeah, it's grown a lot in the last 10 years; used to be a time when only people who did MMA wore Tapout", and we went our separate ways.

In the grand scheme of things, that's not too big of a deal. A better example would be going through the mall and encountering a kiosk selling "magnetic wellness" bracelets. Again, a conversation I've had which went something like "I know you just work here, you don't really believe in that crap, do you?".

Granted, it was a one-sided conversation considering how it wasn't in his best interests to engage me in front of potential customers, but if he'd actually been the kiosk owner (no idea), perhaps he felt a little guilty about peddling the snake oil. I wasn't trying to rally the mouth-breathing mall-goers to run the guy out of town or anything, just applying the amount of scorn called for by the situation, and moving on with my life.

Did that make the world a tiny bit better? Who knows, but by keeping silent it sure as **** gets a little bit worse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 10:57am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Did that make the world a tiny bit better? Who knows, but by keeping silent it sure as **** gets a little bit worse.
    I don't know that it did tbh, except for making you feel a bit better about yourself. I'm as against bogus alternative health **** as you no doubt are, but I'm not that much into pushing my views onto other people. I have a school of thought that says "So this turkey has spent a few pounds on something that I know is bullshit (magnets, crystals, whale music, reiki, penis weights, whatever) but hey, they say it makes them feel better, so what the **** is the problem?" Who am I to stand between a man and his placebo effect?

I once got in a row in a church after a christening when I read a leaflet explaining how man and the dinosaurs walked the earth together three thousand years ago. Nobody comes out of a situation like that smelling of roses. I tend to keep my mouth shut a bit more as a result.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast