Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2012 7:37pm

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Are Judo push ups bad for Judo?

Have any of you had to stop doing Judo push ups because it was agitating your Achilles tendon?

Last fall I had stop going to Judo because I twisted my ankle. Having pathetic upper body strength, when I get ready to go back to Judo I start working out again, and can typically get up to about 40 dive bombers. By dive bomber and Judo push up, I specifically mean this (skip to 0:40):

When I do this, my ankle and especially Achilies tendon starts to smart after a while, and I take it easy again, thus going into an eternal cycle of never getting back to the dojo.

I heard about this interview with a yoga instructor about "downward dog," where apparently there were injuries to the Achilies tendon from doing that posture:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/ma...&_r=1&ref=yoga

To be clear, this is what downward dog looks like (skip to 0:35):

So I stopped doing dive bombers all together, and now my achilies tendon issues are fading fast. This could easily have something to do with my specific injury, personal lack of workout knowledge (feet too close together when doing dive bombers,) or my weak physique.

Anyone else had issues with dive bombers vs. their ankle or Achilles tendon?

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/17/2012 7:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith View Post
    Have any of you had to stop doing Judo push ups because it was agitating your Achilles tendon?

Last fall I had stop going to Judo because I twisted my ankle. Having pathetic upper body strength, when I get ready to go back to Judo I start working out again, and can typically get up to about 40 dive bombers. By dive bomber and Judo push up, I specifically mean this (skip to 0:40):

When I do this, my ankle and especially Achilies tendon starts to smart after a while, and I take it easy again, thus going into an eternal cycle of never getting back to the dojo.

I heard about this interview with a yoga instructor about "downward dog," where apparently there were injuries to the Achilies tendon from doing that posture:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/ma...&_r=1&ref=yoga

To be clear, this is what downward dog looks like (skip to 0:35):

So I stopped doing dive bombers all together, and now my achilies tendon issues are fading fast. This could easily have something to do with my specific injury, personal lack of workout knowledge (feet too close together when doing dive bombers,) or my weak physique.

Anyone else had issues with dive bombers vs. their ankle or Achilles tendon?
    first off, no, my ankles are limber enough to not have an achilles tendon issue. Yours should be too. secondly, the guy vid first demonstrates the "judo pushup" which is a dand or hindu pushup, the next version where he moved through the same plane for the whole exercise (going down & up twice) is called a divebomber. just FYI
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2012 12:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Yours should be too. secondly, the guy vid first demonstrates the "judo pushup" which is a dand or hindu pushup, the next version where he moved through the same plane for the whole exercise (going down & up twice) is called a divebomber. just FYI
    In case I wasn't specifically clear enough in my first post, the "Judo push ups" I had been doing is very specifically "dive bombers," not "Hindu push ups," which may have been putting a different kind of stress on my Achillies tendon than the less strenuous "Hindu push ups."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2012 12:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    first off, no, my ankles are limber enough to not have an achilles tendon issue. Yours should be too.
    This is a very good point. I did dive bombers for about a year before my injury and didn't have any issues like this. I have had a lot less flexibility in my ankle since I twisted it. So this is probably a very specific-to-my-injury issue.

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 12:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for this reply!