Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Struggling to get into Escrima (UK)

Hi everyone! Bit of a newbie outing here because I could do with a bit of advice.

I got it into my head that I'd like to learn Escrima. I'm not much of a martial artist as such, I used to fence with fairy sabres and moved into historical western weapon-based arts for a while, though the clubs I found lack a certain aliveness...
    I like to keep fit though. I love running and working out in the great outdoors. Part of the reason I quit the HEMA stuff was that I kept running into fat nerds who struggle to move their own body fat around (You know who you are!).

Perhaps it's time to try something new. I would prefer to get into some kind of weapon-based art though. It's what comes natural to me.

Escrima sounds good, as does the lot of FMAs, though there's only one school near where I live and I strongly suspect it's a McDojo. The guy who runs it seems nice enough but keeps pushing for a one-year contract while at the same time ignoring my inquiries about any extra membership fees, club uniform, etc. Alarm bells ring...I understand he has to make a living and I'm sure he knows his stuff but I like to know in advance how much I have to shell out before I sign the dotted line.

So, what else is there?
    Any other art I could try that would perhaps carry over, even if it's not predominantly weapon-based? I mostly wanna learn for fun but I detest non-contact arts and such. Bit of a waste of time, really...

I even thought about taking a few private lessons out of town and perhaps finding a local training partner to practice with. Not exactly ideal but I live in the middle of nowhere (Derby, UK)and quality schools are few and far between.

Got any suggestions for me?

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You didn't mention the name of the possible McDojo you were looking at. Post it here and we may be able to give you some more info. If you're sensitive about doing that feel free to pm me and I can make some enquiries.

If you're willing to drive to Nottingham you can give this guy a try - he's pretty well known on the national scene and the small amount of FMA I know I learnt from one of his former students:

http://www.kick-fit.co.uk/about_us.htm

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not try Derby City Boxing Academy A.B.A

MON 8.30-10.00pm
    WED 8.30-10.00pm
    FRI 8.30-10.00pm

2.50 a session

Or 7 steps judo kwai A BJA Judo Club in Derby

Mondays 8 - 9.pm Seniors
    Wednesdays 8.15 - 9.15pm Seniors

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings!

Great to see more people from the UK here, especially ones with similar interests in hitting people with weapons.

I'm afraid I haven't been over here too long, and while I could recommend you a really good club, its in London :P

What I can do however is have a word with my instructor this evening and ask him if he knows of anyone in that area.

Failing that, as far as I can tell the two really big FMA organisations over here are:

http://www.rapidarnis.com/ (They run the Arnis Alliance tournaments)
    and WEKAF GB whose site seems to have gone missing, the Google cached page might at least yield an email address.

Out of interest, what style is this place with the contract and the hidden fees? I don't want to accidentally recommend the same place to you.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I must admit I'm a little reluctant to name the place, just in case I'm totally misjudging them. I'll check out the weblinks. Kickfit looks interesting as it's within reach. Can anyone endorse the place?

I've never thought much about boxing. Derby is actually rife with Kickboxing schools (every gym and dojo is at it now) and most of them don't do sparring. Hard to find a place that doesn't immediately put you off.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kickfit looks legit, my only concern is that they don't have any tournament wins listed after 2000, which could just be someone not updating the site.

I'd say its worth a trial class at least.

Its also worth noting that a contract isn't necessarily a terrible thing, provided the rates are fair and there's a decent escape clause. Refusing to tell you about later hidden costs however is a bit dodgy.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallian View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I must admit I'm a little reluctant to name the place, just in case I'm totally misjudging them.
    Like I said, pm me the details and I'll ask around. You might need to make a few more posts before you get pm privileges though - I think you need 10 maybe? Why not head over to this thread http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117486 and post a few pics of buff hotties?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Like I said, pm me the details and I'll ask around. You might need to make a few more posts before you get pm privileges though - I think you need 10 maybe? Why not head over to this thread and post a few pics of buff hotties?
    Buff hotties? If i knew any I'd be dewing them instead of hanging around on the net. *smirk* But I'll see what I can do. Cheers for the offer, mate! I'll come back to you when my pms are enabled.

Style
    Sticks & Jits & Fritz
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't know much about the UK but perhaps Baritsu may be another avenue to look at.

http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/bartitsu-today/

Or even Indian stickfighting which I've heard is available in the UK.

I know I'd personally want to do both if they were available in my area.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't even heard of indian stickfighting? As in american indian or the indian subcontinent?

I'm aware that Baritsu exists, though I'm fairly sure there are no clubs in the area.

Britain is only a small island compared to most US federal states but the old place has a lot of geography. =D It's not easy to get around, especially if you don't drive.

Aaaanyways, I went for a trial at Kickfit. Cosy place and Richard seems like a nice bloke. Same problem though: I'm having trouble getting him to tell me how much exactly everything costs.

I don't get it. Is that normal for places like that???

All I really want to know is if it's affordable for me so I can either say (A) sorry to have wasted your time or (B) let's get to it!

Think instructors are worried that revealing their price structure early on might put students off?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last