221983 Bullies, 4067 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/15/2012 8:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    so many big tough marksmen around here! it's scary! LOL
    It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're sober.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/15/2012 9:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're sober.
    I don't know, I usually get more done with a mild buzz.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 4:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    so many big tough marksmen around here! it's scary! LOL
    At least no one has shot themselves in the foot . . .

. . . yet.

Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 8:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    When I'm looking through the ring on the rifle, I just never feel confident. It seems so much more complicated, with all the adjustments you must do, and how instead of simply lining stuff up you have to look through a ring and try to figure out where dead center is so you can put your front post there. I always wonder if it's really really dead center or not.
    There are a lot of ways you can screw shooting up, so it's hard to say anything particularly constructive without being there.

Torquing the rifle to line your post up, which may or may not be what you meant, will introduce inaccuracies. The aim of the game is to make a straight line out of your dominant eye, the centre of the ring, the front post and the target; with as little confounding force exerted on the rifle as possible.

Generally, if your post isn't lining up with the centre of the ring, your body is in the wrong position for the shot. There's a natural point of aim for how you're situated when you set up. You can find out whether you're messing things up by aiming your rifle at the target, closing your eyes, putting your rifle down, and picking it up again into your shooting position. When you open your eyes your rifle should be pointed in more or less the same place. That's the natural point of aim for how you're lying.

If you're having trouble finding the centre of the ring - well you're never going to get the exact centre. It's possible your eye is too close though. Could always try sitting a little further back from the thing and see whether you find it any easier that way - though obviously don't fire the thing unless you've got it against your shoulder. If you find it easier, you may be better off adjusting your stock a little.

Oh, and focus on shorter range stuff first - and shooting a consistent group rather than shooting to the dead centre of a target. The real key to shooting is having the patience to keep everything consistent. Once you're consistently missing in the same general area every time you can adjust your actual aim relatively easily. You're likely getting no information about just how you're missing if you're shooting single shots to a 1000 yards out. I doubt very much it can even be done in any meaningful way with your rifle.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 9:53pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Estarlio View Post
    Torquing the rifle to line your post up, which may or may not be what you meant, will introduce inaccuracies. The aim of the game is to make a straight line out of your dominant eye, the centre of the ring, the front post and the target; with as little confounding force exerted on the rifle as possible.
    Interesting you mention this. After I'd made my original post, and I was practicing with an instructor, he noticed that I had actually been canting my rifle slightly attempting to line everything up. I had not been aware, but it had been affecting my accuracy.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 12:42pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Interesting you mention this. After I'd made my original post, and I was practicing with an instructor, he noticed that I had actually been canting my rifle slightly attempting to line everything up. I had not been aware, but it had been affecting my accuracy.
    Yeah I tend to do that when my cheek weld sucks, due to stock shape or whatever.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
  7. Bikewer

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 5:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way back in 1964, I went into the army and qualified "Expert" with the then-standard M14. With my young eyes and steady body, I could pop those 350-yard "trainfire" sillhouettes without any problems using the iron sights on the 14.
    I had trained my rifle shooting primarily with a Benjamin pellet gun, a .22 pneumatic model which I had literally put thousands of rounds through.
    I practiced all the standard positions and it served me well.

Fast forward to the present. A few years ago our department decided to get "patrol rifles", a standard AR platform with the EOtech optical sights.
    We had to zero these rifles with the iron sights and get the EOtech shooting to the same POI.
    My first look through those iron sights with my now-much-older eyes was a bit of a shock... I could hardly get a good sight picture at all.
    There were two front sight posts, for instance... One over the other.
    Kind of scary to see how age creeps up on you.
    Fortunately the optical sights work terrifically.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure your sights are zeroed. Google this, it's hard to explain.

Zero your rifle at 36 yards. This is the same ballistic point as 300 yards for 5.56.

Then, practice dry firing. Keep in mind,

Rifle butt into the high pocket of the shoulder.

High, firm pistol grip

Cheek firmly welded to the stock

Eye relief (distance between your eye and rear sight aperture) so its comfortable.

Sight alignment: TIP of the front sight post centered horizontally and vertically in the rear sight aperture.

Sight picture: BLURRY target, CLEAR front sight post.

Now, breathe in, breath out, pause and

Slow, steady trigger press, being careful not to push or pull the rifle.

Don't anticipate the break, and be prepared to hit money!

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I hit man sized targets at 500 meters ;)

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 11:45pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like this zero better

http://grburnett.us/guns/ImprovedBattlesightZero.pdf

This makes for a very flat trajectory out to 250 yards, with less than 2 inches of rise and drop.

but thats for a 'patrol' or other sort of defensive rifle. For longer ranged riflery, simply put, you should just zero to the range you are shooting at/
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234