Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/18/2012 12:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to take a moment to say I really didn't like this album.

Posted On:
    3/18/2012 12:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm why does Maryland always seem so far away...

April 7th: Seon Kigong Gathering During the Spring season of the Year of the Black Dragon, Gakhwang Temple will be offering special training sessions . These Gatherings will offer personal instruction from Dharma Teacher MuSsang in the art of Kigong. Kigong, or Breath Work, is an ancient system of exercise practiced by meditators, martial artists, and people of all ages. Tuition: $20
    $20. Priceless.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/18/2012 12:28am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 10:32am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rabbit, I can be booked for seminars.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 3:06pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Rabbit, I can be booked for seminars.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
    Who knows who else might show up with him! (But I charge extra -- fortunately, my rate is much lower than his.)

Sent from my Aging Desktop PC using my Fingers

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 6:07pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It cannot be overemphasized that physical training and mental training are NOT separate things. Diligent and difficult physical training is perhaps the most effective form of mental training a person can undertake. Why do you think the military puts such an immense emphasis on physical training, especially during boot camp? Sure, soldiers need to have physical ability, but the bigger picture is to be able to form the mental toughness to push through adversity, overcome pain, and keep your focus on the objective at hand.

Also, diligent training develops reflexes and synapses in the body and brain so that a person can achieve the ability to act without thinking. Why do you think basketball players continue to practice free throws throughout their NBA careers? It's not because they don't know how to shoot them, but you grease the groove to make the movements as natural and fluid as possible.

No matter how much time you spend thinking about something, if you don't perform the physical action, your brain will never be able to make it natural.

In short: Thinking trains you to think. Doing trains you to do.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 10:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Who knows who else might show up with him! (But I charge extra -- fortunately, my rate is much lower than his.)
    Sadly, I'm not currently in the financial position to book traveling Zen teachers, but I was thinking about picking up Alan Watt's book on Zen.

Not to learn anything about Zen of course, but to learn more about Alan Watts.

I'd much rather make a pilgrimage to Baltimore anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 9:12am

Style: FormerShotokan,Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm maybe I shouldn't have brought Academia into a YMAS...
    Itīs always got to have some quality input.

Respiratory maneuvers, controlled breathing while in stressful physical situations; moving meditation; and rhythm induced trance are all states that can lead to Alpha or Alpha-like brainwave states (Vaitil 104-108). The Alpha brainwave is at a frequency of 8-12hz, which is indicative of relaxed yet focused sports activity (Griffiths 2). These ASC are being increasingly researched due to the importance they hold in sport performance increases. The Alpha brainwave frequency is similar to that of 'being in the zone' (Griffiths 1): the zone is a state where body movements seem to occur automatically and without conscious effort.
    When argumenting with brainwave-frequencies, you should clarify the causalities. Which is it?
    a) Alpha-waves lead to those "altered states of consciousness" (ASCs)
    b) ASCs lead to alpha-waves
    c) both have a common cause
    d) Alpha-Waves are ASCs?

Furthermore, you might consider dropping neurology in this topic and go to the phenomenological level. Certain kinds of training lead to higher endurance, relaxation, better focus and a rush-like feeling (verifiable by sociological/statistical methods). Therefore there are basic similarities between methods of some martial arts and methods of religious context.

Neurology is a long way from being refined enough to make statements of the accuracy needed here.

I did majors in writing and studies in religion, working on building a framework for Lived Religion/Spirituality within Western Martial Arts [...]
    Do you mean to build a framework for religion in wMA or a framework for the research of religion in wMA?

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 9:55am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nils View Post
    Itīs always got to have some quality input.

When argumenting with brainwave-frequencies, you should clarify the causalities. Which is it?
    a) Alpha-waves lead to those "altered states of consciousness" (ASCs)
    b) ASCs lead to alpha-waves
    c) both have a common cause
    d) Alpha-Waves are ASCs?

Furthermore, you might consider dropping neurology in this topic and go to the phenomenological level. Certain kinds of training lead to higher endurance, relaxation, better focus and a rush-like feeling (verifiable by sociological/statistical methods). Therefore there are basic similarities between methods of some martial arts and methods of religious context.

Neurology is a long way from being refined enough to make statements of the accuracy needed here.

Do you mean to build a framework for religion in wMA or a framework for the research of religion in wMA?
    As I said, this was about 4-5 years ago, and this was a basic piece, not my full paper/work.

These ASCs lead to alpha or alpha-like brainwave frequencies.

The topic isn't something I'm actively working on at the moment, it was more "food for thought" for the thread. The paper is a theoretical work, not a submission to a peer review journal on neuro-cognitive changes through physical exercise, focusing on martial arts. It's merely outlining possibilities that could be worth further investigation by tying a link to these altered states, through movements within a WMA.

For my main work, I seek to build a framework for everyday spirituality (religion, as most use it, is a lot heavier than the definition I would use it for within my work), passion, ownership within WMAs.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 10:29am

Style: FormerShotokan,Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    For my main work, I seek to build a framework for everyday spirituality (religion, as most use it, is a lot heavier than the definition I would use it for within my work), passion, ownership within WMAs.
    Sounds definitely most interesting. If you want some texts reviewed or ideas discussed, feel free to PM me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 1:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So...if I practice practice PRACTICE peforming the moves correctly, hundreds of thousands of repetitions, then when the pressure is on I will be able to execute the moves without having to think about it?

MY GODS! I TOTALLY GROK THE NATURE OF THE UNIVERSE NOW!
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast