Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    SD, JJ, Kettlebells
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai or Kyokushinkai?

Hi

My main interest in martial arts is self defence/protection and I wanted to add something to my training with more sparring and a place near me offers both MT of Kyokushinkai karate - both of which spar. I saw part of a karate sparring session today, lots of good hard body contact but I notice they don't punch to the head. Not that I want to get punched in the head but that's what most people try and do.

Both classes run twice a week and the karate class has an extra sparring session on Sundays. So as a guy about to hit the big 40 I was wondering if anyone had any views on which would be the better class to take.

Thanks in advance.

Style
    StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    Hi

My main interest in martial arts is self defence/protection and I wanted to add something to my training with more sparring and a place near me offers both MT of Kyokushinkai karate - both of which spar. I saw part of a karate sparring session today, lots of good hard body contact but I notice they don't punch to the head. Not that I want to get punched in the head but that's what most people try and do.

Both classes run twice a week and the karate class has an extra sparring session on Sundays. So as a guy about to hit the big 40 I was wondering if anyone had any views on which would be the better class to take.

Thanks in advance.
    Muay Thai. You'll have much better hands.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you gonna compete?

If not, are you doing this for funsies? If so, then I'd say kyokushin. You will be around people who probably have the same goals.

Plus you get belts, and **** what anyone says, everyone likes belts

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Are you gonna compete?
    Plus you get belts, and **** what anyone says, everyone likes belts
    Hey now, they could have ranks in their MT program. We test for colored prajied (sp?) which look way cooler than belts. They emphasize the guns.

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look for a Kyokushin place that also practices Headpunching and clinch/throws a Kyokushin offshot like daido juku or Shidokan is awesome too

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    a place near me offers both MT of Kyokushinkai karate - both of which spar
    It sounds like one gym offers both arts? If so, just try a few classes out for each one and see what you like better with regards to exercise, skills training, and the people you'll be training with.

Style
    Kyokushin
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    It sounds like one gym offers both arts? If so, just try a few classes out for each one and see what you like better with regards to exercise, skills training, and the people you'll be training with.
    This is good advice. I've done Muay Thai and I've just started Kyokushin Karate, I find that the techniques are pretty similar between the two (so far anyway). I enjoyed Muay Thai and I'm enjoying Kyokushin, I think you'll be happy with either.

My goals changed, which is why I took up Kyokushin, instead of MT when I started training again. Oh and karate was waaaaaay cheaper, lol.

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by huge View Post

My goals changed, which is why I took up Kyokushin, instead of MT when I started training again. Oh and karate was waaaaaay cheaper, lol.
    What's your goal now?

Style
    Kyokushin
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    What's your goal now?
    When I was taking MT I was really looking to get some fights, and wanted to get in a couple MMA fights before I felt I was too old. Unfortunately, I no longer feel as though I have the time to commit to training to have a good showing in a pro fight setting. When I was in MT I was training 5 or 6 times a week. Plus, I feel I'm a bit old to be trying to get into the ring for the first time now.

However, I still wanted to train in an alive, and competitive MA, and I wanted to achieve a childhood goal of attaining a black belt. It was either going to be Kyokushin or Judo, but I really enjoy training as a striker. Kyokushin is exactly what I'm looking for at this point in my life.

tl;dr:
    1. Conditioning
    2. Competition
    3. Black Belt

Style
    SD, JJ, Kettlebells
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. I have no interest in competition - I am pushing 40. I am not interested in belts either. I just wanted to get some more resistant training with some decent contact. You can do decent contact in the SD stuff but ultimately there is usually some form of role play in most drills whereas I believe sparring develops attributes you can't get from that.

The classes are the same price at this gym and included in the monthly fee. Each runs twice a week but the karate offers an extra sparring only class on Sunday morning. I had a quick look at that and it looked like hard training but sensible as in no-one was taking liberties/cheap shots. They didn't have any Muay Thai running while I was there.

The other thing is MT is 2hrs a week but karate is 3hrs plus there's the extra hour of sparring on Sundays.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last