Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 9:20am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Diet Question

I was wondering if my diet is good enough for fat burning and building some muscle, as well as being generally healthy.

Body weight: 75 Kilograms, 165 Pounds
    Height: 183 cm, 6 Feet
    Body fat: 13% (I think)
    BMI: 22.4
    Waist size (a little above navel): 31 inches

Breakfast:
    4 tbsp of whole wheat
    +1.5 glass of milk
    +2 tbsp of coconut
    OR
    Just 2 glasses of whole milk if I'm not hungry.

Lunch:
    45 Grams of bread or 6 tablespoons of rice
    +Grilled chicken or fish
    +Green salad no dressing

Dinner (post workout):
    45 Grams of bread
    +Half a grilled chicken OR 2-3 boiled eggs and a can of tuna
    +1 banana, 3-4 strawberries, 2 tbsp of cream, 1 tbsp of coconut
    +Green salad no dressing
    +A glass of whole milk sometimes if I'm still hungry

It's also worth mentioning that I'm diabetic (type I) so I can't or will be very difficult for me to manage a 6 meal diet, that also means I don't eat any processed snacks of any kind (chocolate, chips...etc.) unless I'm hypoglycemic and really need a massive sugar boost (rarely).

I do Judo 2 times a week sparring in all sessions, lift weights (stronglifts5x5 variant my coach gave me but doing power cleans instead of barbell rows) 3 times a week, and do general fitness workouts once a week (sprinting, calisthenics, plyometrics, running...etc).

Too much text I know, but I put any information that I thought might be relevant. If anything else is needed I can provide.
    Last edited by Mister; 4/03/2012 9:25am at .

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 9:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Breakfast:
    4 tbsp of whole wheat
    +1.5 glass of milk
    +2 tbsp of coconut
    OR
    Just 2 glasses of whole milk if I'm not hungry.
    Could you elaborate on the bold?
    What are you talking about, flour? Wheat kernels?

First and foremost, as a diabetic and an athlete you should consult a doctor and a nutritionist.

You didn't provide serving sizes for the meats, so not much can be said there anyhow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 9:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Could you elaborate on the bold?
    What are you talking about, flour? Wheat kernels?

First and foremost, as a diabetic and an athlete you should consult a doctor and a nutritionist.

You didn't provide serving sizes for the meats, so not much can be said there anyhow.
    I think this link can explain it better than I can, it's an Egyptian food.

http://politicalmonkey2010.wordpress...ridge-beleela/

And about the protein I usually eat half a grilled chicken or an equivalent fish, I know that's not much of a measurement but, I really don't measure protein I just eat the **** till I'm full cause it's always good for you, am I wrong about that lol?

And well...no doctors for this kind of **** here (it's considered a luxury, and most of them don't know anything about sports, just diabetes), it's hard to explain, but my parents are both doctors and I've been diabetic for as long as I can remember so my blood sugar is controlled very strictly, to say the least.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is: the diet doesn't matter, I can adapt by changing around a few injections.
    Last edited by Mister; 4/03/2012 10:09am at .

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 10:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, ok i thought it might be something like that.
    The point about measurements, is that without numbers you are forcing the reader to speculate.
    You are asking a question that, if you want a real answer, you'll need to provide the variables.

Here's a good resource on the topic:
    http://www.healthline.com/hlbook/adv...orts-nutrition

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 11:29am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks good man, maybe a little more fruit/vitamins though. I would vary up my thermogenic veggie intake as well...if just for the sake of making meals less boring. I often do a grilled veggie kebobs; little garlic and EVO, salt/pepper. I also like spicy and sweet peppers to snack on or throw into other stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 2:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, ok i thought it might be something like that.
    The point about measurements, is that without numbers you are forcing the reader to speculate.
    You are asking a question that, if you want a real answer, you'll need to provide the variables.
    Okay I weighed this **** and found out that the tuna weighs 200g in total, drained around 140g, also an egg weighs 60-70g. I also found out that I eat about 250g (weighed raw) of chicken breasts no bones no skin on average. I'll weigh the fish next time, there's no fish around.

Here's a good resource on the topic:
    Hooooooly ****...

Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    Looks good man, maybe a little more fruit/vitamins though. I would vary up my thermogenic veggie intake as well...if just for the sake of making meals less boring. I often do a grilled veggie kebobs; little garlic and EVO, salt/pepper. I also like spicy and sweet peppers to snack on or throw into other stuff.
    Maybe I can add some fruit to lunch. (Bananas, I love that ****)

I've been eating like this for years mate I never got bored lol.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 6:17pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At a glance, the diet looks quite healthy. And Cheng is right, with type 1 diabetes, you should definitely seek the advice of a health professional whom you can work directly with.

But to answer specifically the question of whether it's a good diet for burning fat and building muscle the answer is: yes to the first, no to the second. Sorry, but it's a pretty puny diet. It looks like something I'd recommend to a middle aged woman trying to lose 70 pounds.

That said, however, you do have a great base to work with. All the foods you mentioned are quality foods, and you have the advantage of being very precise with your measurements and–I presume–scheduling. So you're on a very good track. That particular diet probably won't help you put any appreciable amount of muscle. But, that said, all you really have to do is tweak the variables and you can easily create a diet that will.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 6:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    At a glance, the diet looks quite healthy. And Cheng is right, with type 1 diabetes, you should definitely seek the advice of a health professional whom you can work directly with.

But to answer specifically the question of whether it's a good diet for burning fat and building muscle the answer is: yes to the first, no to the second. Sorry, but it's a pretty puny diet. It looks like something I'd recommend to a middle aged woman trying to lose 70 pounds.

That said, however, you do have a great base to work with. All the foods you mentioned are quality foods, and you have the advantage of being very precise with your measurements and–I presume–scheduling. So you're on a very good track. That particular diet probably won't help you put any appreciable amount of muscle. But, that said, all you really have to do is tweak the variables and you can easily create a diet that will.
    Hey thanks for the response.

I've talked to a doctor ages ago, she showed me and my parents the ropes with diabetes for two years till I learned enough then she let me fix my own diet schedule. But there's no such thing as a doctor for diabetic athletes in this country.

Yes I'm very accurate with scheduling too.

I will sound very ignorant on this but please bear with me.

The whole big muscles thing, does bigger muscle equal stronger muscle or could someone of less muscle mass be as strong as someone with big muscles?

I know it's a horrible question...

Also, what do I need to tweak for a better diet in your opinion? Also worth mentioning that I never feel like I'm still hungry after eating, I'm not starving myself I love food lol.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 2:07am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muscle strength is a combination of two factors. The first is the size of the muscle and the second is how efficiently the nerves fire the muscles. The latter of the two can make a tremendous difference. So yes, you can get stronger without necessarily getting bigger. However, strength is ultimately limited by the size of the muscle. And muscles do tend to get bigger as they get stronger.
    So, while you can get stronger without getting bigger, it's only up to a point (but still a noticeable difference). And speaking broadly, a bigger muscle is inherently a stronger muscle.

As for your diet, I will suggest adding more calories and more protein. Start by simply increasing the volume of the high protein foods like eggs, meat, and milk. These won't be high in carbohydrates, so it should be alright with your diabetes. But if what you say is correct, you know enough about your dietary management to know how to make the adjustments. If you do that, and you still don't gain weight, do it more. You have to have more calories and protein than your body generally needs, so it can afford to put it in muscle.
    And at first, eating the amount you'll need to gain is not comfortable. My diet rarely is, by the last forkful, I'm usually just barely squeezing it in my stomach.
    But as you put on more muscle, and workout harder, your appetite will increase. Dramatically. If all else fails, just remember the following equation:

Eat Big + Lift Big + Sleep Big = Be Big
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 2:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    Muscle strength is a combination of two factors. The first is the size of the muscle and the second is how efficiently the nerves fire the muscles. The latter of the two can make a tremendous difference. So yes, you can get stronger without necessarily getting bigger. However, strength is ultimately limited by the size of the muscle. And muscles do tend to get bigger as they get stronger.
    So, while you can get stronger without getting bigger, it's only up to a point (but still a noticeable difference). And speaking broadly, a bigger muscle is inherently a stronger muscle.

As for your diet, I will suggest adding more calories and more protein. Start by simply increasing the volume of the high protein foods like eggs, meat, and milk. These won't be high in carbohydrates, so it should be alright with your diabetes. But if what you say is correct, you know enough about your dietary management to know how to make the adjustments. If you do that, and you still don't gain weight, do it more. You have to have more calories and protein than your body generally needs, so it can afford to put it in muscle.
    And at first, eating the amount you'll need to gain is not comfortable. My diet rarely is, by the last forkful, I'm usually just barely squeezing it in my stomach.
    But as you put on more muscle, and workout harder, your appetite will increase. Dramatically. If all else fails, just remember the following equation:

Eat Big + Lift Big + Sleep Big = Be Big
    Thanks mate very informative all my questions are answered.

I will move things around a little and experiment.

I will see you on the other side (when I'm huge) lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast