Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 4:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like a good club. What is the difference between a Technical Session and Senior Randori?

I did Randori on Thursday and I think this is where you practise the things you have learnt with a partner?

Not sure how useful this would be for me as I have no techniques to practise at the moment!

Oh and do I want to join the BJA or the BJC?
    Last edited by timothius; 3/16/2012 4:27pm at .

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 4:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by timothius View Post
    Looks like a good club. What is the difference between a Technical Session and Senior Randori?

I did Randori on Thursday and I think this is where you practise the things you have learnt with a partner?
    Technical session is where you will be taught the basics and learn throws practicing them through uchikomi and nagekomi.

Practicing in a technical session:

A randori session is where you will fight against a partner.

Randori

Oh and do I want to join the BJA or the BJC?
    BJA- it has more clubs, more competitions, better organisation, more resources and flashy membership cards.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 8:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well because you like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, there is our first start, no point doing something you donít enjoy. And then you said you loved the Judo training, so I'd recommend this as your second art because you saw less cons over Jujutsu. But remember, you can always, if you have time that is, do all three once you gain a basis on the first two, or even switch in the future. If you learn Judo and BJJ and then want to switch to JJJ it will be an easy transition for you!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2012 3:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was going to try BJJ today but my knee still aches from Judo. If I twist it if feels like a leg lock!

Thought it best to let this recover (it is much better than yesterday) instead of doing BJJ which prob needs a good knee to get a good feel for.

Quite frustrating. I seem to injure something else after each session of any MA, but luckily all the aches have gone after a day or two.

judoka_uk: Should I go to the Technical training classes for a bit and skip the randori, until I know some techniques to apply?
    Last edited by timothius; 3/17/2012 3:54am at .

Posted On:
    3/17/2012 7:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judoka_uk: Should I go to the Technical training classes for a bit and skip the randori, until I know some techniques to apply?
    I don't think it works like twitter...

Ring them up on 01276 62925 and say you want to start, ask them which session is best.

They will tell you the technical session, but more importantly they will recommend a specific date to come, because they will then be able to prepare to have a beginner in the session and will be ready to accommodate you.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2012 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was going to try BJJ today but my knee still aches from Judo. If I twist it if feels like a leg lock!

Thought it best to let this recover (it is much better than yesterday) instead of doing BJJ which prob needs a good knee to get a good feel for.

Quite frustrating. I seem to injure something else after each session of any MA, but luckily all the aches have gone after a day or two.

I've found that wearing a knee wrap helps keep it together and reminds me not to stress or bend too much. Sometimes most of practice is OK to do, with only a bit one can back off from, so you can still workout. Maybe.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 10:33am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Usually you can't, there are occasionally exceptions.

Here's a list of clubs by county, click on your county or nearby county to find a club:
    http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/thesport/findclub.php

If you really want to learn proper Judo and live in Surrey then go to Camberely:
    http://www.camberleyjudo.co.uk/

That's some good Judo. Go there!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 9:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just an update. Decided to stick to Judo and have been loving it. I pretty much get destroyed in randori, but I'm slowly learning. Was going to cross train, but there is no time, so I'm just sticking to Judo.

I train 4 days a week at local clubs. Currently not at Camberly as they told me that their randori nights were aimed at brown belts and higher. Still, they are starting a non elite randori session soon on Fridays which I may well go to.

I'm getting my red belt soon, so the journey is beginning! :)

Posted On:
    5/19/2012 7:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just an update. Decided to stick to Judo and have been loving it. I pretty much get destroyed in randori, but I'm slowly learning. Was going to cross train, but there is no time, so I'm just sticking to Judo.

I train 4 days a week at local clubs. Currently not at Camberly as they told me that their randori nights were aimed at brown belts and higher. Still, they are starting a non elite randori session soon on Fridays which I may well go to.

I'm getting my red belt soon, so the journey is beginning! :)
    Congratulations. Stick at it and you'll have that black belt before you know it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2012 7:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    If you really want to learn proper Judo and live in Surrey then go to Camberely:
    Thanks for making me feel absolute **** about my Judo.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast