Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2012 4:28pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did years of tkd. My right leg was always in rear, as we used the left hand to jab like a boxer. This made my right leg devastating, since my dominate side was gaining power through momentum. On the other hand, it made my left side virtually useless. pretty much only blocked and jabbed and my foot kicked, but was often use as distraction rather than striking.This made it pretty rough later when I moved on to other arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 10:31am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just saw this thread. I've been taking JKD classes for around a year, and for one thing, our stance is more squared than the stance that was shown earlier, we're not as much to the side, and so our rear leg doesn't need to be completely repositioned to throw MT kicks. In fact, throwing MT kicks is one of the things we've worked on, we do it fairly often in class, and outside of class I practice it too.
    This next point may be a little OT, but, at least in our class, we learn to use both leads so that we fight effectively from both. While 'strong lead' is encouraged, it isn't mandatory. I'm actually more comfortable using JKD techniques with my 'shitty' hand leading rather than the strong lead, but I work on both.
    I only added on the second point to illustrate that there seem to be a lot of misconceptions about JKD. And I'm not an authority or anything, I can only speak to what we're being taught. I'm getting that there are basically two variants of JKD, being 'JKD classic', or frozen in time Jun Fan, do only what BL did; and 'concepts' which seems, according to my understanding, to be following more of the philosophy which BL was espousing. JKD is supposed to continue to evolve, so to me, it seems ridiculous to only do what one guy did, especially when the guy himself was saying 'JKD shouldn't look the same in ten years' when he was doing what the 'JKD classic' guys are doing.
    Hope that made sense.
    Last edited by Dickhead; 11/28/2012 10:37am at .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234