Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 1:17pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Throwing a Muay Thai Kick from a JKD stance

Aside from the fact the rear leg would be your weaker leg (as per the JKD stance) is the JKD stance too narrow to throw the MT round house effectively?

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 1:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know too much about JKD, is there one "JKD stance"? I would think their philosophy would be more open than that. Hopefully we can get some JKDers on here I'm curious now.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he's talking about what the Inosanto camp would call a Jun Fan Kickboxing stance. It looks like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_X4c2aS5YjU...-h/bruce_3.jpg

The biggest problem that comes to mind with this stance in a MT context is getting your lead leg beat to ****, since it's a) Over exposed, and b) Bearing more weight than the lead leg in a MT stance.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMMA View Post
    Aside from the fact the rear leg would be your weaker leg (as per the JKD stance) is the JKD stance too narrow to throw the MT round house effectively?
    -a muay thai roundhouse can have an angular step that sets up the right angles; I don't see why a JKD stance couldn't do that, unless they're insisting that a kick goes right from the ground and pivots en route to the target to avoid any telegraphing, which some JKD groups may. The angular step can kinda negate the issue of the stance being too narrow, because as the hips turn for the kick, the stance is no longer the same. The same principle applies to the switch kick.

-why would the rear leg be the weaker leg? The only way I could see the rear leg being weaker is if the person was using a false lead, and I don't think that's typical for JKD.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post

-why would the rear leg be the weaker leg? The only way I could see the rear leg being weaker is if the person was using a false lead, and I don't think that's typical for JKD.
    Jun Fan Kickboxing (original JKD) advocates strong-side-forward.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 3:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why aren't you using a Muay Thai stance? Your style field is Moo Tie and you're asking about Thai kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 10:53pm

Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I trained JKD Concepts with Martial Concepts out of Bloomington, Indiana the "JKD Stance" only really differed from the Kickboxing stance I learned before that by putting the stronger arm forward and slightly lifting the rear heel off of the floor. Otherwise, it's the typical "hands up, elbows in, even weight, feet shoulder width apart, chin down" fighting stance I've seen in most places.

Going off the video below, I don't see too much difference between a rear leg roundkick in JKD Concepts and Muay Thai. The only thing I see that's different than what I learned is that I'm supposed to step a bit further to the left with my lead leg. This way, if I'm throwing a couple punches to set up for that kick, when I throw the kick I'll also be moving off the line of a counter to those set-up punches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 12:58am

Style: JP Jeet June Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The short answer is yes. Long answer is, It depends on if your toes to mid-step a la Ted Wong, or toe to heel a la Jerry Poteet. They are the same thing, just a different focus, range wise, but the more square you are the easier it will be to throw a round kick. The kick in the video above is not too different from a rear JKD hook kick, that guy does a good job of not chambering too much, bringing the knee straight forward and turning the hip over.
    Your Bai Jong should not be static, when your side stepping, there is an opportunity for a round kick, you can do it from a toe to heel bai jong, or an even more square stance, but a toe to mid step (longer range) stance will not lend itself to a rear hook kick, because the front leg is in the way, and you could kick with the front leg, and the rear leg, in almost the same amount of time. There is a difference between a rear hook kick, and a thai round kick, and they both have their place, but if your follow up is anything from Jun Fan, I would stick with the JKD rear hook, as a round kick will take longer and not set you up in the same way. If your a concepts guy, and wanna take the guy down, or clinch to knees, Id go with the round kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 4:37am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply.

I take it you study JKD?

If so, The hand positioning iof the stance interests me also, I understand that the lead arm actual protects the body and groin and the rear hand as it were protects the face, have you found it practical to defend your head with just one hand (In comparison to boxing etc.. where you always cover up with two hands) Also this must make the lead hook an interesting punch as it comes from the centre of the body rather than the shoulder.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 9:25am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please say why. This thread makes little sense without context. Also, I'm moving it to the beginners area unless some advanced context is added.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast