222074 Bullies, 4089 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Hannibal and Veridian are prohibited from voting or posting anything at all

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Karate

57 23.95%
  • Muay Thai

134 56.30%
  • Boxing

47 19.75%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 1:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai and Judo. Dosen't get better than that.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 6:33am

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Kiozz
    On a second thought, I read you as being sarcastic. Good to me.

Sure, it's about training objectives, and of course an instructor's objectives are different that those of a singular athlete, especially an hobbist.
    Sarcastic? :confused:

Nevermind~~~:)
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Psi Vampire Bane

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 9:54am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Shumagorath
    I'm going to put that on my cognitive science final next week...

...BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
    Just make sure that you attribute it to the internet, and then your professor has no room to argue. "This answer is very much not correct. Oh, you got it off the internet. Well, then, it must be true. A+"
    Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 10:20am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, go where the cute girls are...

I've never done MT, but I was very impressed with a MT trained guy who went up and down the floor with big focus pads with me in the Kosho Ryu class. What a good roundhouse! Fucking thing hurt right through the pad. Probably the best training I've had was the Kyokushin where sensei gradually changed it into a karate/kickboxing blend.

I can't decide what to vote for but you could drop everything and join WhiteShark in Shidokan or go to Hawaii and join Universal Kempo where they do little kata and lots of focus pad and self-defense (and #!!%#&** jump rope! I am the world's worst jump ropper and there I am stumbling and tripping while the other guys and gals [lots or females!] are wizzing along at super speed).
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 10:24am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry about brain damage. MT fighting and training aren't the same. If you don't compete, you don't need to worry about elbow strikes and knees to the head. For instance, the 2 gyms I've trained at don't allow them during sparring. I'd assume it's the same pretty much everywhere else, because it's difficult to practice these strikes relatively safely. Yes, it's quite difficult conditioning (I trained at a place last summer that did bagwork, padwork, sparring, and then calisthenics at the end all in the same workout (hour and half). You're going to be really sore. But all this brain damage stuff is exaggerating.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 6:47pm

Style: .........................

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm biased but I would love to train with shah (thats Karate) , I just don't have the time and money right now. One day I will, I've heard nothin but good things about him, though his school has contracts and is expensive. I thought I should mention I think crimson said it but I am having trouble mixing karate with boxing. The footwork of boxing seems to throw off my kicks and the karate footwork does the same to my punches. I'll have to find a compromise, so maybe go with Karate or muay thai and they will develop all your skills (you won't lose any).
    Last edited by karatefighter; 4/16/2004 6:51pm at .

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once my first pair of exams is over I'm going to check out the MT school. If they incorporate boxing, I'll definitely weigh them more.

karatefighter, what do you find are the major differences between karate punching and boxing punching? I might be able to work boxing stuff in on the side with my heavy bag. Also, why does the footwork screw you up?
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 10/01/2004 1:16pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/17/2004 12:21am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    brain damage- if you dont want to fight in the ring, then dont. if you dont want to spar with full head contact, dont. and if they pressure you to do it to much, tell them to get fucked. your brain is a lot more important than your ring record.

ask them how much boxing work they do in the MT gym. my trainer is also a boxer- he competes in boxing and kick boxing matches- so we do a lot of hand work and evasion from boxing, but modified so that it can be applied to a kickboxing match without getting your head kicked in ala Botha in K-1.

I dont know about the karate class, but I dont see that winning a point sparring tournament is much to brag about. I find the higher up you go in those kind of things, the more the "fighters" have perfected the mystical art of hitting without hurting.
    -The school trains professional fighters (though not in the karate classes from what I can tell)
    So I assume that this means they are trained in the kickboxing class? go there then. the only advantage I see in this Shah guys dojo is a brown belt in bjj. find out how much ground work they actually do, and make a judgement.

as for the boxing classes, as someone above suggested, you should at least get a base in boxing because it is easily the best art for punching. the footwork can be applied to everything else, and being able to bob and weave is always a bonus, and something that afaik karate doesnt teach.

Posted On:
    4/17/2004 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next time I do a thread like this I'm not putting in a poll. That way everyone has to explain why they picked Muay Thai :mad:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2004 2:00pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    keep in mind that a large portion of people probably click MT without even reading your initial post...
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast