222041 Bullies, 4287 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Hannibal and Veridian are prohibited from voting or posting anything at all

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Karate

57 23.95%
  • Muay Thai

134 56.30%
  • Boxing

47 19.75%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2004 5:28pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you fight k1 rules, you will get the same brain damage as boxing wont you?

Besides, I dont know if that brain damage thing is 100% correct, I mean, cro cop is a boxer, and Bob Sapp is a football player, now if you had to pick one of them as a retard, who would it be?

$1.50

Posted On:
    4/14/2004 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: golf club jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate. sounds like you made up your mind already and the instructor is good. probably will give you a bit more depth with Shotokan and some kickboxing drills too--Bjj too.

The question is what are you in it for? boredom? fighting prowess?
    zenbert
    Hold me... :3some:

I love MA. Unlike many things in life, you get what you put in.

Posted On:
    4/14/2004 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Argh, no! I haven't made up my mind. I posted this poll because I can't!

I can't go check out the other schools now because exams are in less than a week and I need to study.

Originally posted by zenbert
    The question is what are you in it for? (...) fighting prowess?
    What else?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/14/2004 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said boxing, prolly 'cause I'm a fanboy, but also because it'll just really teach ya quick how to take a beating, and how to give one. Footwork will definately be helped, and you won't spend time training that which you don't need to know. You'll become really awesome with your hands, and paired with Judo, that could be all that you need. Drilling just 3-4 techs over and over is more preferable to me than drilling hundreds.

Second choice would be karate, just because you seem to be able to make it work, and that's pretty rare (with styles outside of Kyokushin). Be a legit karateka; represent!
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/14/2004 6:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since your already doing Judo, thats the grappling side of things taken care of.

You've done karate so I say do Muay Thai. For a stand up striking art, you can't go past Muay Thai. Its more direct and straight to the point. Where as karate teaches you alot of useless techniques that you don't use.You said it yourself at this Karate school they teach kickboxing skills right ? Yet you never see Muay Thai guys teaching Karate kata now do you ?

Alot of Karate looks like kickboxing when they do sparring anyway so just do Muay Thai.How you train is how you fi
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2004 8:31pm

Style: Canada Goju-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i vote for karate, simply because you say both your punching and kicking are teh sux0rz right now, and karate encompasses both, along with said groundwork and kickboxing.

Posted On:
    4/14/2004 8:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Muay Thai does both as well, but I'm not sure how well it does punching. I know Masato has some scary uppercuts.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2004 8:46pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing. Your concern about maintaining proper cognitive function is certainly legit. However, you don't need to make a career out of it; you just need to learn to use the fundamentals--something that boxing is famous for teaching people in a very short amount of time. My advice would be to develop a strong base and then move on, taking your skills with you when you transition into something that old people can play at (judo, taiji, etc.).

More than anything else, boxing seems (IMO) to be the most enduring skill out of the lot. You've already got plenty of karate experience, but know that it needs quite a bit of modification for it to become ring-ready. Meanwhile, MT is greatly diminished without the same kind of conditioning that will leave you sore, grumpy and quite possibly limpy by middle age.

Posted On:
    4/14/2004 10:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent suggestions all around. I'm a little confused by that last sentence on MT though, Repulsive.

Maybe one of you phantom Muay Thai voters can come in and assure me that I'll get decent punching training and not look like a Vietnam vet by 40.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2004 10:44pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm suggesting that MT isn't nearly as effective without the conditioning and that the conditioning will almost definitely take its toll on you.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast