223771 Bullies, 3839 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Hannibal and Veridian are prohibited from voting or posting anything at all

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Karate

57 23.95%
  • Muay Thai

134 56.30%
  • Boxing

47 19.75%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112 131415 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2005 7:23pm

Style: Thai Ninjiutsu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    muay thai for sure.

theres nothing muay thai doesnt have that boxing does, maybe except for maybe the outstanding neatness of a boxer's form, but aside from that, thai boxing goes farther than just hand techniques, which makes it a bit more realistic if you will. i wouldnt trust karate so much, it's not that it's a bad art, its just that its not so easy to find a good dojo, that has aliveness and a certified and or decent trainer.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    4/04/2005 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this is a bit of an old thread but just my piece: I'm hugely biased but I think boxing. I think it would be the best out there for you right now, it'll help your footwork and definitely improve your punching game, as well as getting you some valuable sparring time and some awesome conditioning. You can definitely still practice your kicks on your off-time as already said, and since it's a lot like chess (it takes a day to learn and a lifetime to master), once you get some decent boxing skills you should be able to transition over to MT a lot more easily. You'll also be bringing great punching skills to the ring with you to your MT gym, and the boxing will give you a strong base for conditioning. The fact that boxing will probably be definitely cheaper than MT and will probably be open more often for you to train at is also a plus.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 9:18pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just club some baby seals to death on a regular basis. It will build up your shoulder muscles and sharpen your killer instinct.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 9:51pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I had ex cons/people that wanted to hurt me badly at my place. That kind of **** builds character. I only have one person right now who is remotely like that but I wish i had a handful..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 8:55pm

Style: Thai Ninjiutsu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Animosimony
    Just club some baby seals to death on a regular basis. It will build up your shoulder muscles and sharpen your killer instinct.
    we have an iceland ashida kim in the makin folks

rawr

Posted On:
    4/16/2005 9:36am

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I vote boxing. Two months of boxing technique and drills has put more power into my hands than 10 years of kung fu did. If you feel that is your weakest area, then take 6 months at a boxing gym and learn to KO people with your hands, then go back to karate and have him round you out.

I like the suggestion of working your kicks from boxing stance and lots of weight training in your off time.

haha I voted in a necrothread.
    Last edited by Maestro Nobones; 4/16/2005 9:38am at . Reason: necromancy
    I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2005 10:19am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite being a karate-ka, I vote thai boxing just because the odds of finding a solid, hard training, non-point karate dojo are almost nil, "however" if you can find a karate school that trains with contact and application (Kyokushinkai is the only one that does this regularly by definition, but some others still do) it can be just as, if not slightly more effective (or at least diverse) than MT in an MMA setting (I say this only from factoring in the throws and hand techniques beyond the gloved fist).
    So, take MT, odds are it will give you better conditioning and fighting capacity than the vast majority of karate schools, but keep an eye out for a kyokushinkai or other karate school that looks like it produces nightmare FC fighters.

PS. If this makes no sense, ignore it, I just finished a 2 hr biomechanics exam :confused2

Edit: Damnit! I blame you for bringing it to the top again! Bastard! I was already disoriented! :XXonlyamo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2005 8:19am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I voted for karate but I'd say kickboxing would be good. More kicks are used.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    5/30/2005 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For Shuma, I would go with Ballet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2005 2:50am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    I voted Karate since I've already checked out the school, but mainly to view the results without an extra click :o
    Heh, every school is different however for me my early karate experience wasn't very good. It only taught me to pick fights with weaker people (I was told after my first grading to get in a fight at school) and besides some basic ideas was crap. They taught me to punch with 2 knuckles and thats wrong - leaves too much air in your fist (breaky breaky) and to kick with my toes (owchy snappy).

Basically the karate I did left me with a big wide open gap between my hands you could drive a mack truck through to punch/kick me in the face. The wide open nature of it made blocking impractical and punching quite obvious, also the use of footwork was quite wooden and it was filled with fancy shmancy crap. eg. I knew a guy who always did foot sweeps in sparring so he could get points and win. He'd just fall down on the ground and touch 'em with his foot - it was "teh all power move" in points sparring.

Karate also got me fighting on the wrong side (I'm left handed). This was because all students must line up the same way to get yelled at (I'm not joking), because I'm left handed I ended up with a good jab arm so this was actually an advantage for our no to light contact sparring bouts.

Having a one sided approach wasn't very useful when people started moving around a bit though. They'd also tell us kids exaggerated stories and so I never really knew the truth; such as how some dan belt karate guy beat up 10 armed thugs at McDonalds on a Friday night (and wow it never got in the news). Also, there was a guy who got his black belt in 3 months - that was funny.

Eventually I got in a fight with a kid in high school and realised what I'd learned wasnt very good. Thank God that event shattered my illusions and started me gaining some perspective.
    Last edited by Lefty; 6/14/2005 3:44am at .