Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2012 10:27am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone else use that "thumb blade" technique? I've been shown it by a couple of instructors (one English, one Texan) from my organisation for use in krotty takedowns. I'd always thought it was maybe a tegumi technique, this makes me wonder whether its more widespread in general wrestling.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/14/2012 11:02am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Anyone else use that "thumb blade" technique? I've been shown it by a couple of instructors (one English, one Texan) from my organisation for use in krotty takedowns. I'd always thought it was maybe a tegumi technique, this makes me wonder whether its more widespread in general wrestling.
    I learned that takedown in the wrestling program at a Texas high school. Let's see, that would be over 25 years ago. I'm pretty sure the technique is centuries, if not millenia, old though.

The simple techniques are timeless in my opinion.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 12:58am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a little disappointed that this didn't turn out to be wrestling with knives.....

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    In CMA I learned a technique that pulled their lower body towards you as you applied shoulder pressure away up higher to break their posture, then move forward and take them down. When doing regular informal sparring in the park with another bully, I figured out that the thumb knuckle could be added to put some mustard on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 11:13am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember being taught this takedown in highschool. It was good stuff then and it's good stuff now.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    In CMA I learned a technique that pulled their lower body towards you as you applied shoulder pressure away up higher to break their posture, then move forward and take them down. When doing regular informal sparring in the park with another bully, I figured out that the thumb knuckle could be added to put some mustard on it.
    Assuming I'm imagining what you are describing correctly, that sounds like one of the bear hug takedowns I learned (again in highschool). If you want to add some more mustard, brace your chin against their collar bone area and use that to break their posture in addition to (or instead of) the shoulder.
    Last edited by CNagy; 3/15/2012 11:20am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 11:44am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    That sounds pretty similar. The krotty one starts from being front diagonal and using the thumb blade to just below the floating rib on the near-side, and the other thumb against the far side of their neck. You pull both hands in towards yourself to break structure and rotate their body, allowing you to potentially take their back.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12