223928 Bullies, 3983 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 91 of 231 FirstFirst ... 41818788899091 92939495101141191 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 11:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's also my understanding that there will be a pretrial hearing where the defense only has to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he acted in self defense in order to have the case dismissed by a judge altogether before it ever goes to trial.

You've got to wonder if this is just Corey's way of passing the buck.

I'm not going to dig up the stats, but I read somewhere that there have been 300+ murder charges in FL where the shooter invoked SYG and something like 12 convictions.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 11:22am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Looks judge selection will be critical. I 100% believe he is guilty of manslaughter (via negligence). Plus, as I said before, a conviction for such will help solidify what SYG is and is not. Lots of options still open.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

:)

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://senatorchrissmith.com/standyourground/impact.htm
    According to state crime stats, Florida averaged 12 “justifiable homicide” deaths a year from 2000-2004. After “Stand your Ground” was passed in 2005, the number of “justifiable” deaths has almost tripled to an average of 35 a year, an increase of 283% from 2005-2010.
    According to an analysis of FBI data done by the office of New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I), who co-chairs the 650-strong Mayors Against Illegal Guns, states that passed Stand Your Ground laws experienced a 53.5 percent increase in “justifiable homicides” in the three years following enactment; states without such laws saw a 4.2 percent increase.
    The Association of Prosecuting Attorneys opposed Stand Your Ground laws, arguing that they were unnecessary and likely a danger to public safety. In a 2007 report, they foreshadowed the Trayvon Martin tragedy. “Although the spirit of the law may be to allow the public to feel safer, the expansions may instead create a sense of fear from others, particularly strangers,” the report said, concluding that enactment would have a “disproportionately negative effect on minorities, persons from lower socio-economic status, and young adults/juveniles” who are often unjustly stereotyped as suspects.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 11:26am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    It's also my understanding that there will be a pretrial hearing where the defense only has to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he acted in self defense in order to have the case dismissed by a judge altogether before it ever goes to trial.

You've got to wonder if this is just Corey's way of passing the buck.

I'm not going to dig up the stats, but I read somewhere that there have been 300+ murder charges in FL where the shooter invoked SYG and something like 12 convictions.
    Zimmerman was in contact with Corey absent his lawyers prior to the announcement that charges would be filed, perhaps there is already an agreement in place to plea guilty to lesser charges and the 2nd Degree Murder charge is just for the public.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 11:28am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    Zimmerman was in contact with Corey absent his lawyers prior to the announcement that charges would be filed, perhaps there is already an agreement in place to plea guilty to lesser charges and the 2nd Degree Murder charge is just for the public.
    Glad I'm not the only conspiracy theorists on this charge. I was thinking the same thing. Put 2nd Degree murder out to the public, drum up media hype on the flaws of the case, suggest/reach a plea agreement, the law is blamed, people start bitching about SYG and it gets removed or completely restructured.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 11:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    Hmm. Maybe. I was under the impression that Corey's office refused to speak with Zimmerman without his attorneys when he contacted them. On the other hand, I don't think anyone would die of shock if they found out a lawyer told a little fib. Who knows?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 11:48am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't be the first time the official version doesn't quite match the actual version of events. 2nd degree murder is just too much of a long-shot charge to be the actual game plan for the prosecution, and the last thing Orlando needs is another Casey Anthony trial.

If there is a plea deal in the works, I except to see something like this: "We really felt that the 2nd degree murder charge was appropriate, but <due to the Stand Your Ground law > the chances of successfully prosecuting that charge were too slim. In the end, we decided that it was better to convict Trayvon's shooter on a charge that would include prison time rather than let him walk because we chose to go to court with a charge that we couldn't prove reasonably enough, <again, due to the Stand Your Ground law.>" Well, perhaps not quite that heavy-handed, but you get the idea.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Hmm. Maybe. I was under the impression that Corey's office refused to speak with Zimmerman without his attorneys when he contacted them. On the other hand, I don't think anyone would die of shock if they found out a lawyer told a little fib. Who knows?
    I am fuzzy on this - I thought the "refusal to speak with," was only something the ex-attorneys suggested, because I haven't seen an article where Corey said that she or her office refused to speak with Zimmerman sans-attorney; maybe I've just watched too much TV, but isn't getting to interview a suspect without an attorney preferable?

I am in agreement with IiF and CNagy on the second->manslaughter angle, which was my analysis about a month ago.

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It hardly requires secret negotiations for a DA to announce one charge in the hope of getting a plea to a lesser charge.

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 12:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddykata View Post
    I am fuzzy on this - I thought the "refusal to speak with," was only something the ex-attorneys suggested, because I haven't seen an article where Corey said that she or her office refused to speak with Zimmerman sans-attorney; maybe I've just watched too much TV, but isn't getting to interview a suspect without an attorney preferable?

I am in agreement with IiF and CNagy on the second->manslaughter angle, which was my analysis about a month ago.
    That may be the case. Like I said, that's just what I remembered reading somewhere.