Page 227 of 231 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227 228229230231 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 5:18pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The idiot didn't learn from OJ. If you get away with what people believe is murder STFU and disappear.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 5:27pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 5:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Problem is that the rules of admissibility have to be consistent so they can be applied to all cases, and they work better in some cases than others. The fine tuning has to be done by the judge, but they're like everybody else. Some are good, others doze off at the bench (literally).

Also, its been my experience that people who are completely innocent of breaking the law rarely end up in front of a jury, much less convicted of a crime, but it does happen. Excluding certain types of evidence, such as evidence of prior arrests, or a wife's opinion of her husband's guilt, may be counterintuitive, but it helps to keep those cases down to the minimum.
    I agree. So far, all the judges I've seen have absolutely been on top of things.

I've seen some interesting arguments about admissibility of evidence. In the best circumstance, the judge, prosecution, and defense work together to reach some sort of agreement. In others, well, not everybody is pleased. In fact, those are more often more exciting than what happens in front of the jury. But not always, LOL.

I know that for DUIs here, the jury can't be told about previous DUI arrests or convictions, so essentially they are not told if the allegations are felony or misdemeanor. Then, if the jury finds the defendant guilty, they may have to have another "mini trial" about whether or not the the defendent had been convicted previously to make the conviction felony or not (unless the defense waives that).

Anyway, I'm no attorney, so I don't want to get in over my head. What I've learned is that the whole arrest-trial and then trial/sentencing procedure is more complicated than most people realize. What I've seen gives me a lot more confidence in the system, but I still say it's best to avoid getting caught in it if at all possible.

Due process can be a bitch, even if you are "not guilty".
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 5:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    The man has serious mental emotional problems, period.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 5:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Come on, dammit! It's not too late for riots. The aftermath of the Zimmerman trial was the only damn thing I was wrong about during the whole thing. I was predicting riots and didn't get them. It's not too late to make me right though.
    Well, I don't know -- you got a little action here and there:

The President did his best to help:

But there was still looting, burning, and assaults on innocent people:

Some of the demonstrations were not large, but they still got their point across:

All in all, the world was treated to a show of how Americans exercise their First Amendment right to protest, even if what they're protesting is the exercise of someone else's Fourth Amendment right to Due Process of law.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 6:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    What I've learned is that the whole arrest-trial and then trial/sentencing procedure is more complicated than most people realize. What I've seen gives me a lot more confidence in the system, but I still say it's best to avoid getting caught in it if at all possible. Due process can be a bitch, even if you are "not guilty".
    Even if you're found not guilty, you're still likely to end up broke, or getting a second mortgage to pay your legal bills.

That's why, ever since they were little, I taught my kids to be respectful of police officers, even if they felt the cop was wrong. I believe there is no one else in our society with as much power to affect your life as the officer that stops you in your car or on the street.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2014 7:08am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems George Zimmerman has opted for "trial by combat".

I thought that this option was usually invoked before the more banal "trial by judges n' stuff."

Anyway...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...t-9098750.html

Posted On:
    2/01/2014 10:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post
    Seems George Zimmerman has opted for "trial by combat".

I thought that this option was usually invoked before the more banal "trial by judges n' stuff."

Anyway...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...t-9098750.html
    There would be some satisfaction in watching him get punched in the face, though I fear it wouldn't be good sport. It's already been well established that the man couldn't scrap to save his life.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2014 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, he got pummeled to a life-threatening degree by a 180 lb high school kid, now he thinks it's a good idea to fight a 240 lb guy. His decision-making ability seems to be remarkably consistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/01/2014 3:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Money. Don't fool yourself.